Distance To Next Waypoint

Is there a way, using Garmin Connect or Garmin Explore, to plot my own Waypoints on the map and make the "Distance To Next" data field on my watch show the distance to there?

I use a different third-party app on my phone (mapy.cz) to prepare my track and export it as a GPX file and I'd love to just add a few waypoints like peaks or water sources to the track all while being on the phone out in the wild.

I have found some suggestion to use Garmin BaseCamp, or some third-party websites to export a course and load it to the watch using a USB cable. But I find this way much less convenient and I'd prefer to plan my trip fully from the phone.

• Edit: Sorry, I just re-read your post, and you of course mentioned Explore.

Original post: I'm not sure if this helps, but have you tried the Garmin Explore app?

(It doesn't work for me, because I am on Android and don't use Google Play Services, and Garmin unfortunately don't want to fix that, but that is another matter.)

• You can use Garmin Connect to create a course and add "Course Markers" (Android) then sync to your watch.  This issue with this method is that you'll get "Distance to Next" indicators at the navigation points (turns) also.  I find this undesirable since I want to only know the Distance to the next Waypoint (course marker).  The only way around this, is to save your created course as a .fit file and download to Newfiles folder on your watch via USB from a computer.

• Yes, that's exactly what I was afraid of. And it's so disappointing no-one thought that adding navigation points should be optional. 

Can I ask what app do you use on the computer? Because in my experience Garmin BaseCamp isn't very user friendly app to work with.

• I do actually use BaseCamp as my main workflow tool.  The Library function is outstanding to keep my routes, tracks, and waypoints organized across all my devices (fenix 6, Instinct Solar, Edge 830, and GPSMap 64).  Once you get on top of the learning curve, you can plan routes w/ waypoints pretty quickly.  The one function that is missing BaseCamp is the ability to create a course with embedded waypoints and port directly to your watch as mentioned in your original post.  To do that, I still create my route (course) with my waypoints in BaseCamp and then export the route and waypoints together in one GPX file out of BaseCamp.  I then import the GPX file into Plotaroute.com.   In Plotaroute, you can edit the waypoints to your liking (change icon, name, etc.).  Once done, you export as a .fit file and copy to your NewFiles folder via USB.  

I agree that this is harder than it should be.

• Ahoj Radku, jde to snadno, vytvoř trasu v mapy.cz pak ji exportuj do gpx, načteš to do garmin connect, tam daš open street mapy a vytvoříš si body jaké chceš, (voda, vrchol atd...). V hodinkách v navigaci si jen necháš zobrazit co chces, treba právě vzdálenost k dalšímu bodu. Vyzkoušeno a funguje.

• Ahoj, toto jsem zkoušel, ale při nahrání trasy tímto způsobem mi Garmin Connect přidá další body na trase v podobě navigace. Pak vidím jako další bod například "odbočení vpravo" a mé vlastní body se tak ztratí mezi těmi generovanými. 

Hello, I've tried this, but the issue here is that Garmin Connect adds additional navigation waypoints to a course. Then I may see something like "turn right" as a next waypoint and my own waypoints are essentially lost in navigation ones. 

• Thank you for your suggestions. I've tried Plotaroute today and got the desired result of "Next Waypoint" showing my custom point on a course. I'm still a bit disappointed that I cannot do this on the go, but at least I'm able to do so.

• To je dost divné, to mě se neděje. Možná jak plánuješ trasu na mapy.cz tak tam děláš zbytečně body při každé změně směru. Nebo to naplánuj rovnou v GC a open street mapách. Ale mně to funguje spolehlivě tak jak jsem psal. Na mapách.cz si vytvořím trasu a pak ji exportuji do gpx a z gpx do GC a tam si přidám co potrebuji. Nahraji do hodinek, zvolím jako navigaci a ukazuje mi to co potřebuji. Třeba to vychytáš.

• Just left this feedback for them www.garmin.com/.../

People have been requesting this for years. On your Garmin watches with navigation, like the fenix 6X pro which I have, you need to make it so that you can have turn by turn directions and fields that will tell you the distance and name to your own self created waypoints. Not the next turn distance, you can leave those fields in there, just add fields that will tell you the name and distance to WAYPOINTS. If this doesn't get fixed, my next watch will be a COROS VERTIX 2. Thanks.