This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sporadic Resets and Display Freezes

Hello All,

My watch performs sporadic resets. I notice them once a week in average. There might be more resets that I just don't notice. Most of the time the resets happen approx. 10 minutes after temperature changes. Examples: going from indoor to outdoors, swimming in cold water...

Is this a hardware issue? Do I have to return the watch for exchange or repair? Might there be a software fix?

I am using 12.20 firmware.

In addition I encounter display freezes every few days - which are reported by other users as well.

In total this is not acceptable and I am considering to return the watch for refund unless there is a solution for these annoying problems.

Best regards

-M-

• I am on 12.00. I tend to push my watch a lot - i.e. multiple .fit files, always playing with navigation settings, using long route / waypoint names, constantly playing with the navigation / return to start trackback settings, frequently change temp between watch and tempe sensor. On average my watch will crash once every 8 weeks, and generally reboots to where it left off. A pretty acceptable rate for my use case.

• I'm on version 13.0.0.0 for 10 days now and so far 1 reset during Pool Swim activity.

• i was having the same freezing issues with my new watch. the first time it started was when it was about 4 weeks old. I thought it a bit odd at the time, but after another couple of weeks it became more regular until it was happening 2 or more times a day.  i came across this post, read all the other comments and thought this is crazy having to muck around with different software versions etc (mine is always up to date with latest release), clearing memory (mine has heaps of spare memory), and thought maybe its something else.

i went through my garmin settings on my phone and found that my other 2 garmin watches (now just used for backup or for the kids to wear) were still connected to the phone. I disconnected the old watches from the phone and from that day (just over 2 weeks now), i have not had a single freeze. give this a go for anyone having similar problems. i'll repost if the freezing reoccurs, but it looks like its fixed.

• That's not a fix. The Garmin Connect TrueUp feature is designed so you can use multiple watches with one account - and the main reason I bought the Instinct. If I go hiking, I like to use my Fenix 5x as it has maps. Through the week, I use the Instinct.
    I'm now on my second Instinct that freezes after connecting my Fenix.

"TrueUp is a feature that allows you to wear and sync data collected from multiple activity trackers.  Garmin Connect will also "TrueUp" all of that data back to all your compatible devices."

• NOTE: I am locking these older Instinct Solar freezing threads to better determine if there is a freezing issue. Since software updates v12.20 and more recently v13.20, researching across all forum threads old and new, the freezing issue being experienced now appears rare. If you are experiencing any random freezing, please create a new thread. I am monitoring for such threads.