Instinct 2, Auto Pause feature not working correctly while in Hike Mode.

Instinct 2, Auto Pause feature not working correctly while in Hike Mode.

I have an Instinct 2 that I set to Hike Mode and it won't restart after an "AUTO PAUSE" event.  I started hiking and in 1.8 seconds it stopped.  I kept moving to see what would happen and nothing.  I had to select "resume" for it to start again.  20 minutes into the hike, I paused and it stopped as expected but would not restart when I continued my journey and I traveled over 500 meters.  I had to disable the "auto pause" for rest of the day for the watch to work correctly.  Battery is at 50% and in clear view of the sky.  I tried shutting if off and restarting with the same result.  Any ideas?

• Should have added Software Version 15.08

• Auto pause has always been tricky at the best of times. It’s great idea but never really worked. By all means try to work with Garmin towards a solution but in the meantime, leave it off. 

• Thanks Philip.  You would think the GPS would be able to integrate with the AUTO PAUSE and input movement to the activity to make this feature work correctly.

• I think the problem is mostly due to the movement of the satellites relative to a point on the earth. You can best see this a a 'birds nest' recorded when stopped but GPS is still moving. Depending on the overhead cover this can result in the 'nest' covering quite a large area. I used to find this particularly bad when trail running or mountain biking under tree cover. Once the signal got weak enough that the watch thought I'd stopped auto pause would kick in even if I was moving. It would then take some to to restart as trying to get a good GPS fix while moving is even harder to achieve. I think all this is compounded when hiking as speeds are that much lower; the speed we want auto pause to kick in is not too much difference from the speed when actually moving. 

• Do you have auto pause set on "when stopped"? Maybe try to set the speed instead (1.6km/h) and see if it resumes better

• Philip, I understand the point you're trying to make however as I stated in my opening comments I had a clear view of the sky.  I also had GPS+GLONASS selected which should have given an adequate resolution to my fix and speed .  Traveling across a ridge at 6000' with nothing to block or reflect the signals and a speed of 4 MPH is basic navigation.  My eTrex 20 has had no problems in the pass doing the same task.  Nesting/drift while stopped or under a canopy of trees is a different situation and I don't believe it is playing a part in this scenario.  Thanks for the input.

• Nesting/drift while stopped or under a canopy of trees is a different situation

It is indeed but you will still get the same effect under open sky albeit likely with a smaller nest. Try it. Put your watch static outside with a clear view to the sky and start a GPS activity. Leave it running for a few minutes and look at the recorded track. 

My eTrex 20 has had no problems in the pass doing the same task

The handheld devices have much bigger satellite antennas

• Thanks, I'll try that as well.