Instinct 2 surf bad gps

Hi Garmin

GI got this for what its marketed for, surfing. Half the time it doesn't pick up the gps. And when it does it misses most my waves and the wave data I get is very wrong. Why? What can I do? A disappointing experience so far.

Top Replies

• think all instinct 2 watches have the same flaws - gps works badly with the water sports (try swimming below 16C temperature and you will see no gps records at all!).

It’s a fallacy that…

• gps works badly with the water sports

GPS works over water. However, GPS signals operate in a frequency range that cannot be received under water. A few centimetres below the surface of the…

All Replies

• I believe it is what it is. I also bought surf edition some time ago and intended to use it almost exclusively for open water swimming. Unfortunately the gps was so bad (especially in cold water - as I swim all year round) I had to return the watch. I bought G1 Descent Solar instead and hoped it would be better since it’s diver’s watch and what can be closer to diving if not open water swimming. Again same thing happened. I think all instinct 2 watches have the same flaws - gps works badly with the water sports (try swimming below 16C temperature and you will see no gps records at all!). 

• Cheers. Unfortunately no response from Garmin - bad sign. I will check if I'm allowed to return the watch.

• Unfortunately no response from Garmin

Here you are in a user-user forum. If you expect feedback from Garmin, contact the product support. Have you done that?

• gps works badly with the water sports

GPS works over water. However, GPS signals operate in a frequency range that cannot be received under water. A few centimetres below the surface of the water, reception is technically not possible.

• I know that. I’ve had instinct 1 and Fenix 6x before. Both worked quite fine - gps and swimming (crawl). Descent is a disaster in a comparison to those two. 

• think all instinct 2 watches have the same flaws - gps works badly with the water sports (try swimming below 16C temperature and you will see no gps records at all!).

It’s a fallacy that temperature affects GPS when swimming in open water below 16C. I swim all year round in the sea with temperatures getting down to 10/11C in August and have yet to see any difference in the GPS track, never mind losing a track completely. There is a possibility that the recording could be affected below 10C but that’s nothing I can comment on and I’d guess there are not many people who do swim regularly in the colder temperatures. Would be nice to know though.

However, we know GPS is not very good when swimming in open water, that’s physics, and why Garmin have developed algorithms that use accelerometers etc to make up for the poor GPS when the watch is submerged. But it’s a long way from saying that you cannot swim in water below 16C with the Instinct watches.