Only 10% of notifications show on watch

Sometimes my watch shows messages from my phone, but 90% of the time it doesn't. I've disabled every battery optimization feature on the app and allowed background activity and everything, but it's still only a very small percentage of alerts that actually show up on the watch. Any ideas why? 

It's a mix of apps too, e.g. if I get 30 Facebook messages in a day, only 2-3 show up on the watch, the rest never do. It's not like a single app is just excluded. 

• Is the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the watch flaky? Even if the connection was lost at the time the notification arrived, all the unread ones should still be accessible under the Notifications Glance on the watch once the connection is restored.  I don't receive a lot of notifications on my phone, so I don't know if there is an upper limit on the count.

• Hmm, I don't think so, but I'll keep an eye on it. I thought at first it was not showing messages when my phone screen was on, maybe trying to be intelligent, but that pattern hasn't held up either. Next time I notice I'll check the backlog on the watch after a few more seconds. 

• hey, did your get your notifications working again? My watch stopped receiving notifications in the last couple of days since it did an update. I have tried turning various settings on and off and nothing will fix it. The bluetooth function on my phone works with other devices so it's not that.

• Not reliably. I think the alerts have improved, about 50%, but I didn't really change anything so it could just be placebo. It's definitely not 100% right now, and it's definitely not a bluetooth issue. Interestingly, some notifications seem to be very reliable, some are not. E.g. alerts about motion on my cameras seem to always come through. But messages are hit or miss.

• I had the same previous daysand i reallowed Garmin Connect app (Android) the permission in Contacts.

• The other day the watch just dropped showing notifications entirely. I decided to reboot the watch and see if that helped. Since then (2-3 days now) I don't think it's missed any notifications. If it starts missing them again I'll try rebooting and see if it helps.