Version and Settings
Instinct 2X Solar
Version 14.12
Garmin Coach activity - Run
Record Temperature - On
Running Dynamics - from HRM-Pro
LiveTrack - Tested On and Off
Courses - Back on Track On, and Course navigation On and Off
Data Screens - 1 custom one and a few built in ones enabled including running dynamics

Details
When you have a course with the workout from the Garmin Coach (have yet to test a run without a workout), Course enabled, and then other various settings it may crash within 100m, or I have had a crash at around 2.5km into the activity, I will summarise further. I have found some settings will cause a crash within a short time/distance, and after starting back up again will crash again, and with other settings having only 1 single crash for an entire 6km. And when I refer to a crash, the watch will vibrate, show the Garmin logo and then do it's usual startup, activity will be paused and it reconnects to phone, GPS, and loads course, reviewing the activity afterwards, I would find that it had not recorded the last 50-100m of distance and metrics and would just be a jump.

Scenarios
LiveTrack - AutoStart On, with include Courses On
Course - Navigation On and Off, Back on Track On
Crashed after 50m, again after booting back up and connecting everything and starting activity, and even without starting the activity. I found that trying to navigate the data screens before starting may have caused it when trying to load course or running dynamics, however that may have been coincidence as it seemed it wanted to constantly crash. Ended up starting activity quickly and then holding MENU to stop the course.

LiveTrack - AutoStart On, include Courses OFF
Course - Navigation Off, Back on Track On

Crashed after 2.5km, thought I was on to a winner, and then after booting back up, it crashed again a couple times, I thought it was right but only made it 20m before it crashed again. Ended up starting activity quickly and then holding MENU to stop the course.

LiveTrack - Off
Course - Navigation Off, Back on Track On
Crashed after 4-5km (can't remember, but can look it up), rebooted and started activity again and it made it the rest of the way till the end of the 6km-ish run.

Summary
In short, it seems that having a course +plus something else that I haven't narrowed down yet, causes crashes, but it is exacerbated either by more I/O, memory, or incompatible features used in parallel. I know on a previous version I was able to do this, but I haven't loaded a course in a while. I am slightly concerned for my event coming up, but will do some more testing and will most likely forgo the course, which will add to the prep on the day as the event has the course auto-loaded.

Top Replies

All Replies