Wrong distance with Ultratrack mode

I have set up Ultratrack mode for GPS for my Hiling activity. When I record my 11.5km long hike it shows distance over 500km and second hike (cca 20km) shows distance almost 1000km. But when I check my trip on map then it seems to be OK. The path was not smooth and exact but the deviation (of recorded GPS path and real way) was max 20m. Any ide what is wrong?

• One more thing.

Do you think I should factory reset watch first or shall I just keep using it in GPS mode to calibrate?

I will always use GPS for running and cycling, but for hiking I intend to use UltraTrac. For calibration can I just run in GPS mode or do I need to go in Hike and walk in GPS mode to calibrate?

Thank you.

• The factory reset is not necessary, the calibration adjusts with each run or walk. However, the CIQ API suggests that there are two separate calibration values - one for running and another one for walking. I guess that the Hiking activity profile would use the Walking calibration, so I suggest doing a few hikes (each minimally a few kms) in the full GPS mode.

The question, that I did not test (and hence did not verify), is whether the calibration remains unchanged when you turn on the UltraTrac mode and do some long hikes, or whether there is a bug and the calibration gets corrupted after a while. If so, then the only way to bypass it, is by using an external sensor such as the HRM-Pro, RD Pod, Stryd, or similar, since at external sensors you can disable the auto-calibration once it is satisfactory. Unfortunately that's not possible with the internal calibration using the accelerometer. Whatever the outcome is, please report back here. 

• So after one week this are the results.

I ran approx. 40km, walked around 50km and MTB 10km. I always get perfect results using GPS data. However using UltraTrac it's still the same thing.

Running 10km in GPS mode turns to 13.3km in UltraTrac mode. It was open straight road. However if I export the same UltraTrac activity as GPX file and then import it back i get 9.6km, which is ok,  I am aware of Ultratrac limits, it cuts corners.

Hiking 7,23km in GPS mode becomes 11.3km in Ultratrac, same route just backwards.

Hiking using MAX Battery mode does the same thing except it disables activity tracking, but results are the same 3km becomes 6km

Walking 8km in GPS mode is 10.66km in UltraTrac, for this test i walked with friend's Forerunner 245 using UltraTrac and got 8,25km which is also fine and confirming that it actually works on Forerunner 245 (standard). If i compare maps between these watches they are the same, maybe Instinct 2 is even more accurate and sticks to the road with almost no spikes, it just randomly adds distance, i see no patern, it does not matter if it is open space or forest or flat or hilly area.

So my conclusion, there is something wrong with software in Instinct 2. Activity does not matter Walk, Hike, Run...

Temporary solution is to export and import activity using UltraTrac, but I think it can be fixed with software update. I would not complicate but I bought Instinct 2 because UltraTrac feature and battery life and all good reviews. I have one week left do decide to return watch or keep it. But I have no idea what to buy. I am experienced ultrarunner, training 6-7 times a week, and now preparing for my first triathlon. I gues Forerunner 255 is the next best thing, but i really like desing and simplicity of Instinct 2.

I've read on this forum that UltraTrac worked fine til 8.xx update. I did not find many users reporting problem, only that UltraTrac is unreliable and that they are using GPS mode insted, or go with better models like Epix, Enduro, Fenix, etc., but it think it is great feature especially for "outdoor" watch, it just needs to get polished.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for you answers.

• Any suggestions?
    1. Report it with all details to the Support. Even better, sign for the Beta program, install the latest beta firmware, and if the problem persists, report it properly in the beta bug report forum, with all the required details described in the beta wiki.
    2. If you do not want to wait till Garmin acknowledges and fixes the problem (may take months), get an external sensor - HRM Pro, RD Pod, Stryd, or similar. It will allow for better control over the calibration. 
  • This is a reply I received from Garmin Support:

Hello,

I would like to see you do a soft reset and clear your activities and soak the GPS.

Step 1) To clear activity history (this will clear the activity history files from the watches memory but anything uploaded to Connect will still be there) - Press and hold the Up/Menu (middle left) button until the main menu appears. From here go to History > Options > Delete All Activities.

Step 2) To light reset the watch (this will not clear user settings) - Press and hold the Power/Light (top left) button for about 20 seconds until it turns off automatically. You may get a message about assistance or see an option to manually power it off but just continue to hold the button.

Step 3) Perform a GPS soak.

To Soak your GPS, you will need to go outside and select an outdoor activity profile. Let the watch acquire GPS and when it says “Ready”, wait an additional 2-5 minutes on this screen. This is the calibration process. After waiting an additional 2-5 minutes, you can start the activity and stop it after 30 seconds or you can start your activity if you’d like. The calibration process has now been complete. Please keep in mind, acquiring GPS may take a little bit longer than usual, due to the troubleshooting we did beforehand.

• I will try that. Did you have same problem and did these 3 steps fix it?

• I have same problem but I did not try it yet. But I am going to and I will post the result...

• I try it shortly and seems that works. I went just 0,5km but did not stop activity and step into house where I receord 2 more minutes of activity. And the distance increase by 0,2km (during my stay at home with poor GPS signal). But previously it was by 63km... I will make longer test but these days I am very busy...

• Well I had no such luck. I mean it does show right distance for first kilometer, but after that it randomly adds kilometers. But it always draws perfect map, almost spot on the road. And again if I export activity as GPS and import it back I ger right total distance, but it does not show laps.

• tried it, worked with 1st walk, during another one added 24km just like that, so no luck