Instinct 2 Solar: Too little memory?

Hi, 

I've got a Instinct 2 Solar and I totally like the overall package, but there are a few quircks.

I installed the Komoot App, a Datafield widget, and 4 Watch faces. Now I am too low in memory to install any more watch faces. At this time I am just playing around, I do not really "need" so many watch faces, but I like experimenting, and I feel a bit dissatisfied with the existing ones. 

How do you guys use these features? What's your usage und experiance?

Cheers,

Chris

• Can you go to your device/settings(the thing with the gear icon)/memory managemet(or something along the line)?

Can you tell us how much mamory is occupied by the apps and how much is free?

I own a f245 and have 3492k free with hike2+, bf hiker map, all in one, infocal(watchface), komoot installed.

• Hi Marvin,

thanks for your reply. You want more details OK.

Size of installed App/Widget/5 Faces:

• kommot 107.86kB
    • All in One Data 27.84kB
    • Simple Lean 21.79kB
    • Slash 115.64kB
    • Typography 98.26kB
    • Actiface 45.01 kB
    • Element 82.54kB

They all install at the same time: 7 Apps installed 25 left. 

Available memory 9.31kB

The total sum is 508.25kB. So I gess that one has a total of 512kB of storage.

This is not a complaint, I just want to learn how the devices compare, and what their limitations are. I also wonder if the memory is used for something else, like GPS traces, and if there could be a usage restriction.

• 512kb for 500$ No bad business for garmin Joy 

• Makes sense and i believe that's the real total memory, pretty small in my opinion, i guess garmin expected people to install a small amount of apps and datafield coming from instinct 1 experience, but what's the point on bringing IQ support when you give users such a small memory. Reading here and there as a user who was taking into account the Instinct 2 as a future upgrade, lot of complaints about screen and now this are making my choice easier.

• I am not shure how I feel about the watch. One hand it is a great concept, on the other there are these quirks, and I have to contemplate, whether I want to live with them or not.

Problem areas for me:

• Rough/sandpaper inside bezel makes it difficult to clean, attracts dirt
    • Display readability: Dark background unusable in dim light
    • Display curved, thus no screen protector
    • Only little storage for apps, upgradability

Plus points:

• Fast sync
    • New sensor works quite well
    • I like the body battery thing, but I'd like it on the screen permantly
    • very comfortable
    • Komoot integration works

Battery Life so far down to 53% after 5 days with a total of 4h GPS tracking, and basically no solar charging, and a lot of playing with it.

• Have you also notice that the buttons are not as good the in the solar 1 or is just me?  

• In case this helps, the still available Instinct Solar 1 has:

- no rough inner bezels

- good readability at day and night

- a flat display

- also body battery

- a comparable level of comfort

• I am actually quite tempted. The Instinct 1 Solar is heavily discounted, and I could get one for half the price of the Instinct 2 Solar.

• I am actually quite tempted. The Instinct 1 Solar is heavily discounted, and I could get one for half the price of the Instinct 2 Solar.

I can recommend it. But stay away from software 16.50. Last good one is 16.00, regarding altimeter calibration.

• I think people are looking at the memory available to Connect IQ apps and not the memory on the watch.  I see 13gb free on the watch and 296k for additional CIQ apps (I have 10 installed and there is a max of 32)).  CIQ memory is always limited on devices so there's no chance there's not enough free space for fit file. a new FW update, etc. I'm glad to see you're using my Simple Lean! Slight smile

It does look like you've got a couple good sized app installed.