This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Instinct 2 Solar (Tactical) "Washed Out" Display: Anyone else having this problem w/their display?

T

The GI2 (on right) is much more "washed out" and closer to purple when compared to the original's vibrant blue (on left); both are backlit to 100%. Moreover, the viewing angle on the GI2 is simply terrible... clearly, the new "domed" PowerGlass does not add one of the primary advantages of having a domed crystal which is improving the visibility at acute angles (especially underwater) by mitigating light reflectiveness. I'm not impressed at all. As opposed to the original solar models, the new GI2s have a "full" solar panel behind the display, so this may be the cause of both the tint and viewing discrepancies; I've contacted Garmin support and am waiting for some explanation... hopefully it is just that I may have a defective watch (which can then be replaced by Garmin).  Also, much as I appreciate the improved display resolution of 176x176 (which does make the text look crisper), they've taken advantage of that to make the overall text smaller in order to fit more data displayed on the screen size; that's all well and good, but it does make it more of a strain for legibility... not all of us have a 25 y/o sight. As usual, Garmin did incorporate a font size setting; I've provided them with that feedback and feature suggestion, so hopefully they will add that in a future update.  Has anyone else noticed this issue? 

• But you made a straw man case to not assume the language of another.  I will take that and direct it at you.  

• Best showcase of the problem I've seen. Was considering making my own video. As a biker, were you used to reading the watch as you go and do you find this hard to work with? 

• Than you; this is yet another example of use case where this "minor" issue (according to many), isn't so minor at all.  We can't all stop, do a deliberate wristshot [gesture], and take an additional 15-20 seconds to comfortably read the display data; with this issue present, those of us which can't practically read the watch in that manner are lucky if we can barely make out the time.  It is unacceptable far as any watch is concerned, nonetheless an "upgraded" version of one that didn't have that problem.  What's more unacceptable is having to wait for yet another, likely more expensive, version of the watch (with a corrected disp,at) to have to purchase... again, Garmin can simply recognize that the issue exists and was not an intentional design "feature" (which they previously failed to advertise or mention), correct the issue in upcoming production runs, and offer RMAs for those whom wish to exchange it.  All of you that see no problem with the watch, and are content and satisfied with it as is, DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OFFER (instead of criticizing the rest). What is so unreasonable about that?

• photos.app.goo.gl/yp3882hvmzmEPnQM7

See video comparing the instinct solar, descent g1 solar, and descent g1 with backlights on. It's really difficult to justify how this could possibly have been a design choice. 

• 'For the kind folks at the Garmin forum' :)

• Brilliant video, demonstrates the problem perfectly. Especially like the touch with the colour chart.

• The biggest question is why is Garmin silent on this? This is the busiest thread in the Instinct 2 forum.

Garmin needs to show up.

• But they aren't silent on this.  The problem is a couple people complaining in private and wanting direct, private attention from Garmin rather than going to other consumers publicly.

• Really?

I contacted support 2 weeks ago and still nothing.
    Did anyone from Garmin came to comment on this thread and put the matter to rest? 

Please refrain from commenting if you have nothing of value to add to the conversation.

• While I agree the screen visibility at certain angles is less than ideal, the way that people have reacted/interacted in this thread is sad.

With all that’s happened in the world these past few years, I’m going to count my blessings that I’ve had even a fraction of a second to think about a problem as small as this.

The watch is great otherwise and I’m happy to have it.