Altimeter has stopped working. Fenix 7x solar

1. Consistently reads about -20,000ft (current altitude 200-600ft). Tried calibrating multiple times, but once sensor turned on, it reverts to inaccurate reading. Tried cleaning sensor, no change
  2. Is there any way to completely disable the altimeter, and just work with GPS altitude? It throws off my metrics when running or cycling?
  • Contact Garmin support. It could be that your watch needs to be replaced.

• yep call support. You can try a reset or master reset (which loses all your data). You can also go into diagnostic mode and see what it states.  One thing to keep in mind is that it might actually be the temperature sensor. Altimeter values are obtained by air pressure and temperature readings.  Years ago I had a fenix (3 I think) with the same symptoms but caused by the temp sensor.  Regardless it likely needs replacing. 

• I had the same problem on Fenix 5 Plus. During activity temperature spiked to 100 degrees and dropped back, so it was a faulty temp sensor. Sometimes they're defective which screws up all the altitude measurements. Luckily after replacing the watch, the next sensor lasted 3 years :) But I do agree there should be an option to rely on GPS altitude and DEM measurements, especially now when multi band GPS is so accurate.