My sleep time is not accurate. I was awake shortly around 6am, but finished sleeping until 8am. Registration of sleep stopped at 6am.

My Fenix 7 sapphire pro solar only registers sleep when i shortly am awake at 6am. When I continue sleeping until 8am it does not register it. My BB says I did well and my sleep score is poor.

Top Replies

All Replies

• As far as I understand, sleep is only tracked in sleep mode. So if you have your sleeping hours finishing at 6, it will not register past that.

• So if you have your sleeping hours finishing at 6, it will not register past that.

Sleep can be detected before and after the scheduled sleep period and that does frequently occur for me. However, the OP does not say whether he interacted with the watch or what else he did on waking at 6am. For instance, interacting with the Morning Report will stop sleep to enable the HRV and other metrics such as sleep to be calculated. 

• mijn slaap staat ingesteld tot 8 uur, dus dat kan het niet zijn.

• Then maybe it stops after you dismiss the morning report?

• "As far as I understand, sleep is only tracked in sleep mode. So if you have your sleeping hours finishing at 6, it will not register past that."

That would be illogical

• https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-C001C335-A8EC-4A41-AB0E-BAC434259F92/EN-US/GUID-70D41BFB-2BB2-4933-BF95-47FF63140112.html

It's slightly ambiguous, but I think that's what the documentation is suggesting. If you want to track a nap out of your sleep hours you have to turn on 'sleep' mode. A few reddit posts confirm this, though I appreciate reddit isn't a completely reliable source Slight smile

• Garmin has not yet succeeded with sleep monitoring.  It can be used for entertainment purposes, but not for accurately tracking sleep.  It seems to work OK for some, (or so they think), but for the majority, there are major issues.  You can find complaints all over the web for any watch Garmin makes with this feature.  For me on two different watches, the problems are the same.  If I read in bed after the start of my set sleep window, the watch usually detects that as sleeping.  Once I am really asleep, the watch will always detect me as awake during the night at times when I definitely am not awake.  Last night, for example in a nine-hour window of being in bed, the watch had me asleep for most of the 45 minutes I was reading before turning off the light.  Then, the watch had me awake for 1 hour and 34 minutes during the next 8 hours or so.  Both are wrong.  I have called Garmin and they explain it like this:

The watch detects some biological things like HR and HRV.  It also detects wrist movement the same way it does to record steps. So, HR and HRV can impact how the watch determines awake time.  And if you move your arms to readjust your position when asleep, sometimes the watch includes that in awake time.

Much of what these watches do are still nowhere near perfect. To record steps, Garmin told me the watch has an accelerometer built in and monitor's your wrist movement. So if you walk with your hands in your pockets, or hike with your thumbs hooked on your backpack steps, recording steps will not be accurate.  If you have two Garmin watches, wear one on each wrist and test it on a long walk.  Disappointing.  Hopefully as the years go by it will get better.

• Besides the handeling of naps, sleep detection works really good for me. And since I‘m using the nylon strap it‘s nearly spot on. 

• I asked Garmin if the watch strap made any difference since I use an aftermarket one.  They said no, no difference to the functionality of the watch.