Do not disturb mode still showing smart notifications

Hello,

I've noticed that if I have do not disturb mode enabled, with the following options ->

Backlight -> Don't Change

Smart Notifications -> Off

Alerts -> Don't change

Wrist Gesture -> Don't change

I still get the notifications from the phone, but they do not vibrate (they only display on the screen).  I see the same thing in sleep mode (which enables do not disturb mode).  It's also very consistent (i.e. it's not an on and off again issue).

I'm on the latest 10.43 software version.

I'm happy to share more details or try changes to the settings.

The phone in question is an older Samsung S7 running android 8.  This is on a fenix 7s solar sapphire. 

Top Replies

All Replies

•  is correct. To be more clear since I even managed to confuse myself.

The System > Do Not Disturb menu is not very clear.

The Do Not Disturb option for Smart Notifications has two settings. On and Off.

• Don't Change = No. Turn off receiving smart notifications.
    • Off = Yes. They should still arrive but quietly with no vibration or tone.

For example, if you research smart notifications not arriving to your watch, one of the key troubleshooting steps is:

• Confirm Do Not Disturb is set to off. This setting is usually found on the watch under Settings > System > Do Not Disturb  .

Another wards, if you have your Smart Notifications set to "On" - then your smart notifications should not arrive to your watch.

• I still get the notifications from the phone, but they do not vibrate (they only display on the screen).  I see the same thing in sleep mode (which enables do not disturb mode). 

That is exactly what it is supposed to do, it works as designed. Those settings turn off the sound and vibration for smart notifications or/and alerts, they don't turn off the notification or alert per se; you still see it but you don't hear or feel it (just like in a smartphone). The behavior is as intended.

If you don't want to receive any notifications there are other ways to do it, e.g. turn off smart notifications from Notifications & Alerts -> Smart notifications -> Status -> Off, or completely turn off the phone connection from Connectivity - Phone - Status - Off.

Hope this helps, cheers! 

• hmm, if I go to System -> Do Not Disturb -> Smart Nofications, I only see 2 options:

- Off

- Don't change

"Off" results in the behavior of still getting the alerts but with no sound/vibration

"Don't change" results in the default behaviour (typically still getting alerts with sound and/or vibration).

There is no "On" option ?

Am I missing something here ?

• You are correct. We changed the verbiage since release. (I double checked Do Not Disturb and the watch I grabbed was still using older software. My Fenix 7X Solar on v10.43 shows "Don't Change" vs. the older On option.)

• Thanks Chris, so to me it still seems like there is no option to get NO notifications whatsoever (without turning off bluethooth of course) which lines up with  explanation above (thank you !).
    If that's working as designed no problem ! Good to know.

Maybe for some context - on the vivoactive 3 DND actually implied no notifications whatsoever (even silent ones).

For those wondering "why does it matter", I think battery saving comes to mind (no sound or vibration helps) but the constant screen changing if you're getting a lot of notifications probably hurts quite a bit.

Of course as was said, the other option is to turn off Bluetooth instead.

• I am having the same issue. I have a very active alert system mostly from hundreds of emails coming in daily. So it's frequent. My problem is while doing a trail run activity for example even on do not disturb mode, I am frequently looking at my watch and changing display screens for various metrics. Then the smart alerts still pop up and it's extremely annoying. It would be so nice to have a quick feature to simply disable them completely through DND since to me that's what do not disturb implies... 

• btw I don't think this is supposed to happen.

I had the exact same thing happen to me once (as I similarly get a lot of notifications) and it was very distracting - but after I restarted my watch that stopped happening - I still get them outside of an activity even in DND but not during one.  I'd try that and see if you consistently get them.

Side note;  I've changed my usage pattern now and when I used to put the watch in DND mode I instead put it in a custom battery saver mode that disables Bluetooth/wifi.  So this accomplishes the goal of DND completely and saves even more battery life ;)   I've been very happy with that.  The only real downside is the weather app isn't usable but it does cache the next 12 hours so if you have a watch face data item with weather it'll still work (though may not be as accurate).

The other negative, if you care, is if you still want notifications about calls, as of course battery saver mode as I described it won't be useful for that.