Garmin's LTE strategy

I have been waiting (expecting!?!) to see an imminent Fenix 7 (and EPIX 2, and Forerunner 955) release with some LTE features. Perhaps not full blown Apple style LTE (phone/texts/emails) but at LEAST the basic tracking and safety features found 945 LTE. Along with (hopefully!) some improvements in basic "gonna be late for dinner" messages to the wife. Garmin has proven (vis-a-vis 945 LTE) that this extra LTE hardware is low cost, doesn't hurt battery life, and provides a recurring revenue stream.

However now with the Marq 2 being released sans LTE, this makes me wonder if Garmin is just going to give up on LTE entirely for the next 3 years. Can you imagine the uproar from Marq 2 customers who just dropped $2K for Garmin's flagship watch, only to see attractive new LTE functions arrive in the humble Fenix and FR series?

If the LTE-less Marq 2 really DOES reflect a lengtht pause in Garmin's LTE rollout, we can only imagine where will Apple Ultra be 3 years from now.

• Agreed, I was slightly disappointed with the lack of LTE on the Fenix 7 series. And I’m not talking about the full LTE, just the emergency features like 945 LTE. 

• This is just one of the many reasons why I switched from the T7S to the Ultra. I assume that Garmin knows they have to eventually introduce a cell-enabled version of their watches. To me the new Marq 2 series is a (bad) joke and I’ll leave it there for others to (and they will) discuss. Garmin has obvious issues with their software and hardware, issues they need to resolve quickly. As an example, I suspect the chips for the devices are significantly under-powered and likely could not (in their current state) support true cell capacity and all that requires. The writing on the wall is starting to become more legible the more we look, however, I like competition so I hope Garmin can regain some lost momentum in this space. 

• Garmin knows they have to eventually introduce a cell-enabled version of their watches.

Why? What Garmin are doing is focusing on providing the means for emergency communication when away from cellphone coverage. The recently released InReach Messenger for example can be used as a standalone device and seamlessly changes between cellphone an Iridium as required. That IMVHO is far more useful than a technology that requires cellphone access to work. While it would be nice to have the ability to communicate emergencies at all times, whether in cellphone range or not from the watch, there's a long way to go for that to happen. And something even the much over-hyped AW Ultra cannot do either.

• Connectivity is one of the reasons I have the Ultra on my wrist at the moment and F7x in the drawer. I didnt think I would care about being able to call from my watch util I wandered off while at Lowes and left my phone with the wife. She called, I answered, I felt like *** Tracy with a yellow fedora and yellow overcoat.

I rarely run or cycle without my phone but now I have the ability to do it and still be in touch. I know al ot of people run or bike to get away. I don't have that option unfortunately.

• InReach / satellite is a completely different use-case than basic LTE-on-the-wrist which is absolutely mainstream. Search Amazon for "4g kids smartwatch" you will find these for about $80 bucks.

• Same here. I love having cellular on my watch for emergency purposes but also for streaming podcasts and listening to music.

• I'd be possibly interested in an LTE Fenix if it's limited to the kind of safety features on the FR945 LTE. I don't at all want full phone service from my watch, phone calls and all that. I don't even have phone notifications enabled on my Fenix 7.

Also, I think people are overemphasizing the threat of the AW (Ultra). Globally, the iPhone has only ~15% of smartphone marketshare. So 85% of smartphone users aren't set up to even be compatible with the AW. Those of us who are in the USA sometimes get mixed up about it, because iPhones have majority martketshare here. But we are the outlier globally.

• Same here, connectivity is the only reason why use my Ultra 90% of the time over my Fenix 6 Pro Solar. I'm willing to compromise battery life for connectivity. Give me a Fenix w LTE and some predetermined messages and I'll ditch my Ultra. 

• It is extremely frustrating to see such a great watch FENIX that shows insane amount of data (that I'm interested in), have a dream battery life, is precise and reliable being out run by an Apple watch. Either GARMIN EXECUTIVES are BLINDED or don't want to face the reality that lots of us, enthusiastic athletes or not, need cellular connectivity. Is this so hard to figure out? What happened is.... Lots of Garmin owners are switching to Apple devices like the Ultra and unfortunately, I'm one of them. I just bought the Ultra 2 and not looking back. The result is my FENIX 7X Solar is in my drawer. In the beginning, I was hesitant to admit it but finally this year, I took some courage and did the switch. I just can't be out for 3-5 hours (training) incommunicado. It just doesn't cut it. I need to be reached by my wife specially having young kids. Lots of my friends have the same issue. This really makes me angry to see how slow the Garmin group is taking seriously this topic. It is so obvious. Even my young daughter was asking me that. I just don't get it. I've been waiting for a Garmin watch like FENIX to have the LTE capability, but I just gave up. Just to put this in prospect, the Fenix watch was introduced 12yrs ago and the apple watch was released 9yrs ago. I guess Garmin had time enough to develop a FENIX with LTE. Big miss on Garmin's part!