This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

9.33/9.36 has ruined heart rate monitoring!

Hi!

After upgrading my my fenix 7 to 9.33 I have noticed a few odd things about the heart rate that's displayed/recorded on my watch. Here's what I noticed:

First run with the new Firmware: My old H7 chest strap sensor, which worked fine before, showed sudden drops in HR of about 30 bpm while running at a constant pace. (H7 has a fresh battery.)

I thought was just the chest strap, but then I noticed sudden mayor changes in HR with the integrated HR sensor as well, when I was just at home. Within 2 seconds it jumped or dropped by about 20 bpm.

Also, when I stand up after sitting for a while, my heart rate does not change at all on the watch. It keeps showing mid to high 40s. However I can clearly feel that it's way off for about 15 to 20s and then it starts "catching up". > Again I big jump in HR on the watch. I tested this multiple times by comparing it to the data from my H7 + old watch where it behaved as expected – a gradual increase in HR.

I also restarted the watch which didn't help and I made sure I was wearing it correctly. (I wore it the same way before upgrading the firmware.)

Before the upgrade it felt very reliable and now I don't know what to think. Has anybody else noticed something similar? Any suggestions on what to do now?

Thanks,

Michael

• What was the problem? Watch needed factory reset after update to work correctly?

• But, doesn't factory reset take the firmware to an older version? Which would mean that the second figure is basically an older firmware version. Which, in turn, indeed indicates that the problem is exactly with the newest firmware versions.

• it was fine since day one, the glitch only happens during long outdoor rides where bpm will drop anywhere from 0 to 90 more or less. I didn’t want to factory reset because I don’t know what data i’d lose. Usually a reboot will fix the hrm but that last ride nothing happened. I just wish the problem doesn’t  come back  i had a fr945 before and it was perfect except for the buttons.

• No, it remains on latest installed software version.

The problem is that if we should reset watch after every update, software update process is bad, because it is time consuming and unneccessary to manually change settings to your liking/needa after every reset.

• My watch updated to 9.36 prior factory reset, in the about page it still is 9.36.

• Hi!

Since the upgrade of my Fenix 7 to 9.33 and later to 9.36 I have been having a constant troubles too. I blamed HRM strap (I use HRM dual), but on using wrist sensor this is not better. Currently the watch which costs a lot seems to be useless for me.

Using wrist sensor of Fenix 7 (it was tight enough, earlier I had no problems):

And using HRM strap (notice the sudden drop of HR despite increasing the pace):

• And using HRM strap (notice the sudden drop of HR despite increasing the pace):

Very odd - and you ensured you wet the strap beforehand, and you rinse the strap under water after activities?

I simply cannot reproduce this using an HRM Pro, Polar H10 or Polar Verity Sense - in some cases I am triple recording the HR stream to a Fenix 7, Coros Vertix 2 (BT as no ANT) and via ANT+ dongle if I am running Zwift or RGT. 

HR plots from FIT files are always identical - this is using Zwift, RGT and recent half marathon races.

(I never use the wrist HR so can't comment there)

Obviously a lot of people are seeing this, so it's very odd I don't. Feel like everyone else has been invited to the party but me!

• Thanks for your data! ( )

In your first graph, WHR doesn't make much sense to me, either. Why would HR drop during your high efforts and then spike up sharply after them?! It's literally after every single fast section. It should start rising at the beginning, continue to rise and then drop after you've slowed down.

And yes, the data from your strap makes no sense whatsoever.

• Feel like everyone else has been invited to the party but me!

Not the party you want to attend anyways. ;)

• Phew, the wrist sensor is also ***! In a high interval the HR rises as expected, then drops, and then shoots up. That's just crazy! I kind of see the same when standing up and looking at HR: HR goes up, gets kind of stuck at one level for some 20 seconds, and then shoots up. This is just so bad.