Should I return my Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar? (Easy to "scratch"?!)

Some background:

I bought the Fenix 6X Sapphire a couple of years ago. Sapphire is supposed to be really tough and hard to scratch. Its a 9 on mohs scale with only diamond higher at level 10. I choose sapphire because of this and that I could relax from worries about scratches on the screen which I really hate because they are so visible and irritating. 

I was actually really careful with my Fenix 6X because that's just how I am with stuff. BUT after a couple of months I got scratches on the screen! I couldn't believe it. The weird thing was that if I polished the screen with a microfiber cloth, the scratch went away. It was only visible when the screen was a bit "dirty" with finger prints or dust. Weird! But I didn't know why this was at that time so I called Garmin and told them about this. They refused to exchange it because they don't cover this on warranty. I decided to "fight" them because this is not ok! Its a sapphire screen and it shouldn't scratch this easily, and I had been super careful with it. Had to email them a lot and talk to different people and after some back and fourth, I got it covered on warranty. At that time I didn't want to go with another Fenix because I read that the new Tactix Delta had better screen that was more durable so I got an exchange to a brand new Tactix Delta. That one I had for 1.5 years and didn't get a single scratch on it. 

I later learned that the scratches on the Fenix 6X sapphire really was not on the screen, but on the coating of the screen. weird to coat an "unscrachable" screen with weak coating that scratch. 

Now I sold the Tactix Delta because it was heavy and big and tried a Forerunner 955, but that was so cheap and horrible, that I instantly went for a Fenix 7 Sapphire Solar. I was sure that Garmin learned from the Fenix 6 sapphire weak coating and didn't do that again with the new one. Boy I was wrong...

I've seen numerous posts about people "scratched" their Fenix 7 sapphire screens. Its really the coating. Some people have actually polished off the coating and the screen was new again, but without the water repellent coating. That makes me very unsure about my purchase. I buy the sapphire to be able to relax about the scratches, but now it seems this model also has the same coating...

I even called Garmin Support and asked them about it. They told me that the coating was to PREVENT scratches! Why do you need a coating to prevent scratches on a sapphire screen? It doesn't make any sense! Its 9 on mohs scale and only diamond is harder... I don't go around a lot of diamonds so I shouldn't worry. I asked about how the warranty was for the scratches on the Fenix 7 Sapphire screen and he told me that its not covered. But they actually DO cover dents and scratches on the bezel?! He said there were some faulty devices with poor quality bezels made. Now they are probably fixed. But still I'm worried.

I bought this watch and can return it. I Have had Garmin for many years now and love it, but I don't want scratches on my almost 1000$ watch! That's why I paid so much. I think this watch looks so good and feels so good and everything is really perfect with it, but if it "scratches" easily, I can buy the glass edition instead...   

So where to go from here? 

Top Replies

All Replies

• Put a tempered glass screen protector on it and move on with your life.

• Put a tempered glass screen protector on it and move on with your life.

If damage occurs to the screen while using a third-party anti-glare screen protector, the device will not be covered under Garmin's warranty.

• Accidental damage to the screen isn't covered under Garmin's warranty regardless. If the damage is significant enough to damage both the screen and the protector then the presence of the protector is not relevant. 

• My epix gen 2 sapphire never had any sort of scratching issue, ever. I banged it around etc. My fenix 7 pro scratched the first hours of owning it and I spent a lot of money on it. I'm so bummed about this now.

• I have owned every fenix since the first one, and always get the sapphire ones. It's well worth the extra hundred bucks to me, and I have never scratched any of the sapphire ones that I owned. One time I bought one that wasn't sapphire, and wound up scratching it. I sold it, and got a sapphire one.

I have a fenix 7x SS right now, and it has no scratches at all.

• Thanks OldDude! I agree, sapphire is always the way to go for me and its what ill always suggest for most people. One bump on regular non-sapphire against metal or something solid( which is still really good, but doesn't compare to sapphire) and you'll scratch your expensive piece of equipment. Sapphire is easier to shatter, ( I shattered my epix 2 sapphire glass by shaking a jacket out and the solid metal zipper came flying back, smacked my watch right on the crystal and shattered the screen! The non-sapphire is much harder to shatter; but much easier to scratch, and I've always preferred sapphire personally because of how I use my watches. One scratch and my OCD takes over, making the screen obnoxious to look at, hah).

• i think this is a valid question: why put a soft coating on a super-tough screen if it's going to, essentially, negate the kind of protection for which you thought you were paying extra? 

it is frustrating that to improve the water-resistance, garmin has to use a coating that isn't as strong as the screen you paid for.  

compared to other hardware and software companies we can choose from, i still prefer Garmin, and i think even knowing i'm going to have to live with some scratches after including my watch in my life, i'll at least know they're superficial, and at least it's more-protected from cracking. maybe it will become like the Velveteen Rabbit and someday it will be "real"