Fenix 7 Solar Saphire GPS Issues

I have recently purchased the Fenix 7 Solar Saphire.   I am a triathlete, but concentrating on open water swimming at the moment. 

I had multiple watches from Garmin over the years like the 910 and 735xt  and am disappointed by it so far.  After my very first swim which it tracked and showed this in the Garmin app I have been unable to get it to track my swims.   

1. GPS is set to best performance with multiband.
2.  I cannot identify where the written about GPS performance band of 1-5 is actually shown so have no idea if it is functioning at all during an open water swim? Older watches use to announce acquiring satellites? Should I be seeing this?
3.  I swam 4 loops of 1200m and my watch recorded approx 1700m per loop, but overall showed about 6.8km. I accepted with my watches in the past that there is always going to be error factor to the recording, but not to the level above.
4.  I know GPS is working because I can use the around me part of the maps and this is correct to my location.
5.  I have switched to openwater swimming activity for a good period of time for it to attach to the 4 minimum sats it needs.

I really need to understand how to improve this or I will have to return the watch.  I cant spend that much money on a device that I cannot TRUST.

I believed I also bought a technical watch. Not to be able to view attached satellites seems a departure from this.

I also have a swim 2 which also appears to have questionable performance :-(