ECG funktion

As the hardware of fenix 7 is apparently prepared for the ECG funktion, shown by DC Rainmaker for the venue and also tested by Garmin until Feb this year at different hospitals, does anyone here in this forum know when to expect this function to arrive on the watch?

Top Replies

All Replies

• That functionality will be available for the fenix 7 Seies on June 15.  Absolutely.  No doubt about it.  You can trust me on this.  It will be great!

Of course, nobody knows when, or even if, this feature will be available; or which models will get it.

HTH

• shown by DC Rainmaker for the venue
    tested by Garmin until Feb this year at different hospitals

What part of those two facts says to you that the Fenix 7 "apparently" has ECG hardware in it?

• The Venu 2 is not a Fenix 7.
    • It was never stated by anyone that the testing in hospitals was done with a Fenix 7.

Fenix 7 might have ECG hardware in it, but there is absolutely zero confirmation of that. I would assume that it does not, since Garmin has never said that it does (to the contrary, in fact, they have said that it doesn't).

While it would be great if it does turn out that it has ECG capability that gets activated at some point in the future, it would be foolish to purchase the Fenix 7 with any expectation that it might someday have that feature.

• One thing I dont understand is why there is no app or function to do ECG when we use a heart rate strap.

• Probably because the straps themselves aren't designed/calibrated/intended for ECG. Also I don't know that there's an ECG protocol for ANT+.

• Hello everyone, in any case it is really a function that is missing from the range of Garmin watches.

• And I want to activate dual band GPS in basic F7 if lower price FR955 will have it. Grin

• I don't understand why an ECG is necessary? What good is this one poor curve from two electrodes on the HRM to a user with no medical background who can't draw conclusions about heart health?

• Well its not just the curve, right? It usually comes with software that would tell if something seens wrong. And be able to export to different apps that bay me able to compare and analyse it. And send it to the doctor. 

Ah ok its good to know that a single single line based in only 2 electrodes is poor info. But if after a few tests it keeps showing something wrong or suspicious the user will go for a doctor and laboratory full tests. 

It's like saying all the ligh alerts in a car panel are useless cos they can't provide complete diagnosis and the driver are no mechanic or engineer. The panel alerts are meant to say to the driver: go to the mechanic. It may be a false alarm or not.

• Well its not just the curve, right? It usually comes with software that would tell if something seens wrong. And be able to export to different apps that bay me able to compare and analyse it. And send it to the doctor. 

Yes, medical devices comes usually with software that helps to analyze the ECG graphs, but not on a small sports watch, It's still not clear to me what you want to see in the ECG graph that may trigger you that something seems wrong. The HR is already available at the devices and there are also some alerts available. But the ECG shows the electrical voltage of the heart impulse. And if you send the graph to a cardiologist I'm not sure that he trust it.

1) Garmin always states that its devices are intended for sports exercise and not for monitoring medical issues, as they are not FDA approved.

2) The ECG is intended for diagnosing heart health, not for trainings load such as heart rate. It's possible to use the ECG to detect such things as additional systoles, arrhythmias, etc. But this can also easy be detected by HR. And for interpreting an ECG you need usually a medical education.

3) An ECG in a laboratory test uses a series of electrodes on the body (usually 10). So the two electrodes of the Garmin HRM only produce only one curve, which is rather unsuitable for diagnosis. It shows mainly HR.

It's like saying all the ligh alerts in a car panel are useless cos they can't provide complete diagnosis and the driver are no mechanic or engineer. The panel alerts are meant to say to the driver: go to the mechanic. It may be a false alarm or not.

Then instead of buying a sports watch, you should buy a medical device with some lights that may show you that something is wrong with you heart. It's not such easy as the alerts in a car panel.

For more information about the complexity of an ECG please have a look at
    en.wikipedia.org/.../Electrocardiography

• Thanks for the answer and all the info. 

Well, maybe I just want ECG because Apple, Samsung, etc all have ECG and they cost less than a Garmin premium model. So, are these ECG functions available on these other watches all just useless?

From time to same I see news like "apple watch ECG saved someone's life", what makes me think they must have some use. 

Here's how Apple Watch's ECG feature saved this man's life (indianexpress.com) 

This Doctor Says The Apple Watch Saved His Life (forbes.com) 

Apple Watch Series 5’s ECG feature saves life of a 61-year old Indian man | Technology News,The Indian Express