Watch counts steps and floors during driving

HI,

The fenix 7 counts steps and floors sometimes during driving. An easy fix for this would be to allow the user to disable activity tracking (preferably from a hot key) so steps and floors aren't counted while driving.

Please add.

• Badly named thread but agree.  Seems like a pretty easy calculation.  When I'm moving at 60 mph and my arm isn't swinging, it's a good guess that I'm not walking.

• The watch does not know your are moving at 60 mph.

• Noticed the exact same thing this weekend when driving on dirt roads.  The movement of the arms while driving is interpreted as steps.  The watch has a GPS in it, how difficult is it to turn it on every minute or so and not count steps when moving at some predetermined level?  Or better yet, have the option for the user to specify "ignore steps if i am moving faster than ___ mph".  There are already tons of unnecessary and confusing options, how difficult is it to add one more.  For what it is worth, my wife's Fitbit makes the exact same mistake... except that it is a $100 device, not $1000.

• All they need to do is add a "disable activity tracking" option. It exists on the venu 2. Preferably make it assignable to a hot key.

• Speed could easily be determined this with GPS. Even a low accuracy one. The exact position does not matter, just the change in position divided by time.

Speed = distance/ time

As far as this issue goes, I think it's totally unacceptable for watches of this caliber and type. They can get this right without a lot of effort.

• Speed could easily be determined this with GPS. Even a low accuracy one. The exact position does not matter, just the change in position divided by time.

Speed = distance/ time

As far as this issue goes, I think it's totally unacceptable for watches of this caliber and type. They can get this right without a lot of effort.

• The problem with using GPS for this is that it tends to not work well in vehicles due to the metal roof, and in many cases the OEM coatings or aftermarket tints on the glass. It will also drain the watch battery much faster.

Letting the user turn off step / floor tracking manually seems to be by far the easiest and best solution.

• Point taken (partially, but I'm sorry, I just don't accept the limitation. 

Even without the GPS, the accelerometer can be used to roughly calculate speed by integrating the acceleration.  That's partially how UltraTrac works. UltraTrac periodically pings GPS but uses accelerometer data in between pings for speed and distance calculations. In the vast majority of cars, this is more than enough to figure out if someone is going e.g. 40+ mph with little variation (indicative of a car). 

Much much cheaper watches don't have this problem. Garmin has zero excuse. Instead of putting an additional burden on the consumer, release a software update. 

• I'm not against fixing the problem -- in fact I created another thread about this very issue when I got my Tactix 7 Pro AB.

All I'm saying is that relying on GPS to solve this likely isn't a workable solution. Even using the accelerometer may not work for people riding bikes or rollerblading.

Manual control to allow step / floor activity tracking to be turned off by the user when desired seems like a simple fix that doesn't require tweaking (and possibly breaking) existing algorithms.