Cycling profiles

Hi all, I'm new to the Garmin sphere, and have several questions since I bought my new 7s Solar Sapphire. I have a few observances and questions, some of which probably stem from unfamiliarity.

First, I've had a couple issues that I've seen reported on these forums already.

• My 7sSS did not come preloaded with all the world maps, only my region (Europe). Not a big deal since I can download what I need, just more of a minor annoyance. Though I noticed that there is a "CourseView Europe", a "TopoActive Europe" and a "TopoActive RDA Europe". What are the differences, both in internal information and use?
  • Been having some major issues with swimming. Most of the time it works flawlessly, but every now and then it doesn't work at all. No distance, no HR. On those days, it's just a glorified timer. I hope they're working on getting that fixed.

Some other questions I haven't been able to find answers on:

• I noticed that between the time I originally set up the device and now, some cycling activity types have been added. Instead of just "Ride", there is now "Road Bike", "Bike Commute", and "eBike". This is great, but I wonder what the differences are between the profiles? I ride an e-cargo bike around town, so either ebike or bike commute could work for that, but without having more info, I don't know which is appropriate.
  • With regards to the previous question, is there a way to set a default gear (bike) for the different activities? In GC, under "Gear", I only see the option to Automatically Add To... Cycling. There 10 different cycling activities, not to mention Triathlon, Other, or custom profiles too.. There's no way anyone would use their road bike for mountain biking, so why limit our ability to set default gear?
  • I made a Course in GC, then added it to the watch. Worked great. A few days later, I decided to do the same route, but I did it in reverse. When I did that, instead of loading as the reverse of the route, it loaded as straight lines between the course points. This meant I had no turn by turn navigation and the map was almost useless. The route just cut straight through the towns I was riding through with no help on how to navigate. I really hope they're working on this, otherwise it's a useless, maybe even dangerous, feature.
  • With regards to the maps while in an event, is there a way to adjust the default zoom of the map? I've found the both the run and bike are zoomed in one click too far for my comfort, and it's a pain to zoom out (or maybe I just haven't found the best way to do it).
  • Suggested Workouts: How are those configured? I'm training for an Ironman, and I find that the Garmin is telling me to do things that are just not realistic with that goal in mind (like resting on my long run day). It seems they are set for a generalized person trying to be healthy rather than any specific goals. Is there a way to change that?
  • Heart rates limits: There are settings for alarms at both high and low heart rates. But the low rate alarm bottoms out at 40. My resting heart rate is about 42, and some days is in the high 30's. Setting the lowest value would result in multiple alarms every few days. We should really be able to set our own custom value for this number, no?
  • Live Track: I'd like to set up Auto Start on live track only for specific activities (runs, road biking, and triathlon). My wife got one the other day for a pool swim (even though there's no GPS). Obviously she doesn't need that. If I turn it on for all GPS activities, she gets like 12 LiveTrack emails a day. How do I do that?

I'm sure I'll come up with other questions, but those are the ones I've come across in the first few weeks. Thanks for any help you can offer!

• Bringing up an old topic instead of opening a new one. I'm just waiting to pick my gravel and it came to my mind how to make Gravel Bike activity use my gravel bike and when I do MTB, use my MTB.

Looks like that Garmin still didn't implement such feature. Right? Disappointed

• didn't implement such feature. Right?

Correct.

The gear to activity mapping is selectable to these options here:

• Yeah, it can be added automatically to cycling but not different kind of cycling. If Garmin can just add a few cycling profiles, it would be perfect.

• It seems they are set for a generalized person trying to be healthy rather than any specific goals. Is there a way to change that?

The Daily Suggested Workout will follow some general rules of balancing the load focus along the broad lines of 80/20, just like many pre-packaged training plans.

The design of the workouts are pretty standard and the pace targets are calculated based on your VO2/Pace curve, as a % of VO2 Max.

If you add a specific race to your event calendar, the DSW will also follow a perioditization: base phase, build phase, peak phase, taper phase and race phase.

So I don't agree they are for a generalized person trying to be healthy. First, they are customized to you personally and to your race plans. Second, people don't pick up a 5k, 10k or marathon trainin plan "just to stay healthy" or they are not really trying to earn a PB or win a race.

I will agree that the customization of the training plan by race type is not clear, and may be light or absent, I am not sure. I don't see a big difference from moving from a 5k to a 10k plan. Also, some typical workouts like hill sprints, strides and 400/800m speed repeats are not there. They are replaced with anaerobic and "sprint" workouts.

If you have specific goals boosting your anaerobic capacity, or your maximum sprint speed, the DSW will not be optimum, but they will keep the main benefit of adapting to your fitness, fatigue and performance level. You could use a standard training plan, or a benchmarked one for your specific goal, but you won't benefit from the adaptive approach. Compromises...

I will venture to say that the main benefit of the DSW is to boost your threshold capacity while maintaining/improving your VO2 max, just like many "traditional" running training plans.