GPS recording breaks when using IQ widgets

So I just did a walk to test out stuff. I have 2 IQ data fields in my activity.

1. Got my GPS fix pressed start, walked a while, then I used the back button to go to my watch face.

2. At this point the watch face changes to stock (I know this behavior from the F6, I was only a little surprised)

3. Then I started to go into glances and opened up a 3rd party widget in fullscreen (Accuweather), at this moment my activity stopped according to the map I checked after I was done.

4. I continued walking, none of this was recorded anymore but the activity was still active when I switched back after a minute

5. Leaving glances I could now suddenly see my 3rd party watch face again

6. Back in the activities I lost one of my 2 IQ data fields, just displaying the IQ graphic, I stopped the activity, stored it, and wondered why it stopped recording.

Overall, not impressed, a step back from the F6 that could handle this.

• Completely messed up the recording of a tour today because I hade to rely on infos from a widget.

• So it turns out its not a memory thing, if a widget/app developer enables GPS use for the widget, recording in background continues as it did on older watch models released before 2022.

If the widget does not use GPS it gets disabled while viewing it and therefor also the activity in the background can't access it anymore.

• It has been reported in every way and time but Garmin has not corrected it yet. It is a very debilitating bug for a watch that is not used even for long activities and the risk of losing track is something that cannot happen on a 1000 € product. Garmin where are you? 

• IQ system 6 is not fixing anything. It's just making things weirder.

After starting my activity I switched back to the watch face, opened an IQ widget without location permission, after a few seconds the watch vibrated and told me "GPS is ready" which is dumb because I was ready a few seconds ago when I hit start on my activity. But it seems as it kept recording my gps track.

After a while it seemed to time out back to the glances list, that's new, before it did not time out (or it was a touch gesture of my clothing). Then I entered the widget again, this time got 2 vibrations with no message, and later noticed it stopped recording my track at this point.

So here we are a year later, watch still inferior to an F5 or F6 in this regard.

• Now 1 year later, with IQ system 6 we get one free widget use.

Yes you can open an IQ widget (that does not use location) once, you get a message "GPS is ready" even though you are already recording your GPS activity in background, and it will continue to save your track.

But if you open it a second time or try to use another one this will then stop your GPS tracking and you wont get that "GPS is ready" message.

forums.garmin.com/.../iq-system-6-using-gps-when-using-iq-widget-is-unreliable