This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Very stiff buttons - almost not possible to press....

Former Member
Former Member

Hi, 

I own a 7s, which I will return because of non removable pins and massive glare and reflections. 

But I wonder if your buttons are the same.

The buttons have almost no tactile feel. They are very stiff and it almost seems like a touch button because it is so hard to press in. Only the start button works like it should and like all my buttons on my 6s Pro. 

I wonder if it is only my normal 7s watch or many or even all Fenix 7 series watches. 

Buttons besides the start button are really really bad, never seen buttons that stiff on any watch. And I know button problems are normal with Garmin watches. But this feeling is in another league of bad imo from my experience with many Garmin watches, including the button problem watches F245 and F945. 

• i have a 7x saphire solar and i was disappointed in the buttons compared to my tactix delta solar and fenix 6x.  the older gen (and my fenix 5X and 3HR)  have a perfect click and tactile feedback.  this 7x, four of the buttons feel more mushy arent smooth but have a tactile click. they go in ok, click and on the release, you can feel "steps" as the button pops back out. its weird.  the back button though is just mush with zero tactile click when pressed. ive kinda gotten used to it but ive been enjoying the touchscreen so ive not used the buttons as much. until i can play with a display model at best buy or something to compare, ill just live with it for now.

the buttons and lack of removable pins for the band are serious steps back and shouldnt be there on a $1k watch. i have about 40 days left in my return window to decide whether to keep it or exchange (or return if stock doesnt show up at best buy for an exchange)

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to Psycho442

Thx, different buttons problem but same problem in general. Mine don't even feel mushy, they feel almost like they are clued in. Never had such an issue. Mushy buttons unfortunately are the norm for Garmin. Had those many times. 

Same here, I will return it. if I buy one again it needs to have good buttons and esp needs to be on sale. Maybe I had an almost perfect 6s Pro and now I am spoiled because in the past there was always something with any of my garmin watches. Many I returned. Maybe it tells me that my 6s Pro is a keeper?! Haha. 

Yeah very disappointed for such an important watch. The main thing wanting me to switch is new HR sensor and esp touchscreen during all-day use which is so much more convenient, and also very fluent system performance. 

• My 7X is only a slight amount stiffer than my 6X was. I'd say take it back for a replacement. It's not meant to be as stiff as you're experiencing. 

• I too find the buttons ‘weird’ on the F7XSS compared to the F6X. It feels like they have 2 levels (steps) when pressing. One shallow and then the click/action. This is even more apparent when you release the button and keep your finger - you can feel the 2 levels.

• I have the same feeling when I release the button it feels strange as the buttons com out in steos. 

has anyone an idea how to solve this? SIilicon spray perhaps? 

• Got the same and returned the watch (7X). Ordered new one and wait right now. 
    For the 6 series was the “common button” issue so I though for new (7) same won’t happen. Ahh, Garmin Disappointed

• I've found the buttons on my 7SS have improved with use over the last few days. The back button was originally mushy in comparison to the others, but now it clicks nicely. The up button is a little soft still, but not at all difficult to use. I find the angle at which you press them also impacts how they feel.

They're not as good (yet?) as my 6 solar, and there's still a slight '2-step' feeling on release but nothing that bothers me.

I'd say if your buttons have very limited travel with no positive click I'd contact support and arrange a replacement.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

I returned my 7s, buttons were almost unpressable hard, must be a defect. Have the Epix 2 atm and buttons are good. Feel a little cheap when clicking with this sound but they are ok. Only back buttons doesn't make a sound. But from clicking they feel good, just the sound some buttons make do sound cheap. 

So my 7s was definitely a defect. 

• Sounds like the same crappy buttons as on the epix 2.  Bummer.  I had ordered both watches but the fenix 7 is few weeks delayed.  The fenix 6 pro buttons are perfect tactile feel.

• 7s here, all 5 buttons have very good tactile response

(have for comparison my 945 still lying around, which had a slightly mushy down button, but still usable of course)