Fenix 6 Series - 20.00 Public Release Candidate

Hello Fenix 6 customers,

Our next beta version for the Fenix 6 series is now available! 

Please ensure that you are downloading the correct beta software for your specific device.

Instructions for installation are available below the change log on each of the above pages.

20.00 Change Log Notes:

• Added ability to turn off recording an activity during a golf round.
  • Added an alert to notify user when battery is critically low during a music sync.
  • Added HRV Support from chest strap for Yoga and breathwork.
  • Added pop-up to Pulse Ox Measuring feature if the device detects too much movement and cannot get an accurate measurement.
  • Added support for new biking activity profiles: eBike, eMTB, Cyclocross, Gravel Bike, Bike Commute, Bike Tour, and Road Bike.
  • Added support for the HIIT activity profile and workouts.
  • Added support for the Pickleball profile.
  • Added support for the Padel profile.
  • Added support for the snowshoe activity profile.
  • Added support for the tennis activity profile.
  • Added new tips to indicate which activities support Incident detection.
  • Improved accuracy of Surf wave count algorithm.
  • Improved Explore Sync app waypoint load times.
  • Improved Lactate Threshold and Altitude Acclimation algorithms.
  • Improved measurement loading UI when taking an SpO2 measurement.
  • Update the altimeter’s auto calibration to be either be “On” or “Nightly”. Setting to “On” will calibrate at night, activity start, and continuously during activities. Setting to “Nightly” will set the device to only calibrate altitude at night. (Models without DEM maps will not perform continuous calibration during activities)
  • Fixed issue with alarms intermittently not going off when the device is set in Max. Battery Mode.
  • Fixed display issues on the device after navigating to a point initiated by the Garmin Explore App.
  • Fixed issue where selecting a single point on a map that contained multiple items would not display the items properly.
  • Fixed issue that would corrupt open water swim activity files.
  • Fixed issue where PacePro bands would not be recognized by the device.
  • Fixed issue with updating aviation data over wifi.
  • Fixed issue with activities reporting incorrect Activity Calories and Training Effect data.

Current beta peripheral software version numbers below. New versions are indicated in red.

GPS: 5.30
Sensor Hub: 11.01
ANT/BLE/BT (Pro models): 6.11
ANT/BLE (non-Pro models): 3.00
Wi-Fi (Pro models only): 2.60

Please note, the beta updates released on these forums are not compatible for APAC region devices.

Please send all bug reports to [email protected], and indicate which model of the Fenix 6 Series you have in the subject line

We know this post states it is a public release candidate, yet the URL states it's a beta.  This is simply a method of delivery for public beta.  We use the same channel and therefore the 'beta' term follows each of these links.  We only note it is a public release candidate so that you are aware it's the proposed version to go live to the public.  

• Thanks for your responses.

Negative altitudes between -1 to -5 or so are quite normal here, and back when the widget worked OK, the graph would always be complete even if the minimum altitude had been -5. 

Anyway, all this got me thinking; Nobody else reported this. The graph looks as if the watch has just started or has been reset. I am not a total stranger to electronics and embedded software and have some feeling for all the things that can go wrong. Garmin Support might be right and the watch may indeed need replacing.

But I'm not totally convinced, and have a real hard time accepting a NOH unit to replace my 4 month old perfect looking watch with not a scratch on it. 6 Pros generally don't look too good on the second-hand market (bezel), and NOH may not include a new battery, not sure. It's not the right thread for this.. but what would you guys/gals do? It's not a major defect, but if this watch develops more problems over time resulting in bad data or stopping to work altogether, that would make me real unhappy.

• If that's not in feet, you're going to really need the pulse ox widget! Grinning

• I believe I saw something similar about three weeks ago, as a one-off, and I put it down to the incorrect negative altitude set by overnight auto calibration and the scale not being adapted to suit. I haven't seen any negative altitudes since and I've not noticed any other breaks in the graph.

• but what would you guys/gals do?

I personally would not let the issue you report worry me enough to go looking for a replacement at this stage - I'd certainly not want to swap what is quite a new unit over for what will be second-hand device that someone else sent in for another issue.

If your watch is 4 months old, then depending where you are in the world you've got another 16 months warranty anyway (speaking from a UK / EU perspective) at least. 

Having said that, when I got a Fenix 5 replaced due to charging pin corrosion back in 2019, the device was pretty much indistinguishable from new.

• Hi all, noticed something... I finally installed manually 20.00 on my 6s, and i kept the device usage widget... While my new Fenix 6 regular (47mm) got 20.00 directly from express, but... Device usage is not there Disappointed is there any way to install it? Thanks!

EDIT:

sorry noticed that the watch still tells me has 17.75 on board, update failed I would say... Did not notice, will try it again later

• Device Usage widget is enabled only in beta's :-( so if you want to keep it, don't update to a regular version.

• Yeah I supposed so, my doubt was due to my mistake, did not notice the update did not go through, but i tough yes, and since 20.00 is a regular, ok, but I installed it manually... Thought there was possibly a difference.

I do like that widget, unsure why not possible to have it with the normal releases... There are no diagnostic SW on board Garmin watches, except some duable with weird buttons combinations that at the moment I can't remember.

• No problems whatsoever with anything compared to 19.20. Battery consumption is better, no problems connecting and using HRM Pro. Altitude is good. Happy so far.

• I still have the annoying bug of the training load etc. being zero for aerobic activities when using my verity sense external HR monitor. I thought this had been fixed, obviously not...

• my battery issues start since moving to 19.20 and Support suggested wait for 20.00 as fix for this, but as posted before this didn't fix

drain is very rapid with device completely unused, remaining on bike mount - reset again and charged to 100% over weekend and new Debug logs sent to Garmin

13% loss overnight from 7pm to 6am so about 1% each hour - I maybe forgot to mention this is 6x, device only supplied to me by Garmin about 2 1/2 months ago

(it does not seem to be possible to upload photos anymore directly..only to provide url?)

My thinking is that this is a firmware issue, as Garmin do not offer a replacement and say to wait so I think a fix is on the way soon?