Fenix 6 - Surf Activites

Hey All, 

Many of you may have seen we added the surf activity type to the Fenix 6 and Marq series.  If you are an avid surfer, and can do so in your area safely, please give it a try?  Be sure you've updated to the latest public beta 9.97 or above, and then go catch some waves.  Once finished, we'd be curious to know your thoughts back here on this thread?  We'll monitor the thread for feedback.

Thank you for your continued feedback on our public betas.  We appreciate you and your desire to live on the edge with beta updates. Slight smile

• I'll be taking this out to compare with my buddies alone watch and surfline sessions.

• Hello.

Been using it for a week. Not very accurate but the waves were tiny in Biarritz this week with very short periods. Would love to see more data in stats such as total distance and number of strokes and pace of stroke (more relevant when surfing in poor conditions just for training purposes). 

Also something I found interesting. The HR data while surfing seems OK, but.. I chose surfing by mistake for a strenuous cycling activity (60k, 1300m elevation) and the OHR recorded a max 90 heart rate. I know it’s not relevant but interesting to note that the HR is not calculated the same if cycling or surfing.

• Hi, My experience in HR , was totally different I stayed at 190 HR for 45 min., impossible for my body, this is information was understood  by the watch and finally my week information was a mess, for me should be an option to cancel the HR in Surf.

• Same boat here. I've tried the surf app (3rd party) and also the surf data field. Really like the data field using "sup" activity or open water swimming but I hate to manually modify the session to surf afterwards, so I use the 3rd party app. Quite limited data that one though... Would love to test that new app, but I'm with a Fenix 5s plus...

• After one month using my watch on perfect wave in tahiti, i confirm my first impression.

Garmin should not be allowed to say they have a surf app. 

The only thing the app do is recording the activity as surf. 

Other metric are unrealistic. Wave count are 10 times higher in my case. 

I had a fenix 5 plus and move to the 6 serie only for the surf app. Very disapointed about garmin on it. This is not respectfull for customer to lie like that. 

• It looks like some people in this thread are confusing 3rd party apps with the garmin surf app.

• Fenix 6 here.

I think the GPS isn't allowing this to work correctly. There are a few problems:

1. Has no sense of the direction of the waves. This means it sometimes believes you can move backwards.

2. Doesn't appear to utilize an accelerometer to tell when you stand up? Might help?

3. Need the ability to set the minimum speed.

4. Increasing the GPS polling frequency for the sport would be nice.

This results in inflated number of waves taken.

My buddy has an Apple watch with the Surfline app and get's much more accurate data in comparison.

• Not sure if you can pull my surf sessions but I think i've logged 3 and definitely didn't get 47 waves. Can I export them if you can't pull them?

• totally agree.

Even rip curl has been capable to have something accurate

• If you include me, I prefer to say that I am using the garmin surf app, the one included with the watch by default.

3rd party apps work better that the Garmin one actually