Altimeter craziness!!

So I purchased the Fenix 6 pro, and really do like it. But I had this nagging feeling I may like the 6X better, so I ordered. I haven't decided which to keep yet but an odd thing has happened. My 6 says I'm at 149ft, my 6X says 62.3 ft. My actual based on google maps coordinates in the place I am standing is 135ft. I calibrated both watches and got the same results at 149ft and 62.3ft. My question is am I calibrating right? What is the difference between calibrating via GPS vs DEM? Should I really just be putting in the altitude manually, and it will stay correct from there? Do I need to calibrate compass first? Thanks, this is driving me crazy!!

• I thought I'd pile on. Debating a 255, 955, or big sale on a Fenix 6 Pro Solar, I went with that. I've had it a week with no issues, then today, went for a run in my 730-ish ft neighborhood with a couple of 30-ish foot hills. Around 20 minutes in, it registered -1,650 ft, had wacky fluctuations for a minute then normalized. At the end, it said I had 29K ft of ascent and descent in a 42 minute run that with my old Fenix 5 would have been under 200 ft. Software is up to date. I'll calibrate the barometer it and keep an eye on it, but it'll be going back to Costco if it doesn't straighten up.

• I thought I'd pile on. Debating a 255, 955, or big sale on a Fenix 6 Pro Solar, I went with that. I've had it a week with no issues, then today, went for a run in my 730-ish ft neighborhood with a couple of 30-ish foot hills. Around 20 minutes in, it registered -1,650 ft, had wacky fluctuations for a minute then normalized. At the end, it said I had 29K ft of ascent and descent in a 42 minute run that with my old Fenix 5 would have been under 200 ft. Software is up to date. I'll calibrate the barometer it and keep an eye on it, but it'll be going back to Costco if it doesn't straighten up.