altimeter problems after firmware 22.20 for garmin fenix 5x

Hello, today I upgraded the firmware with version 22.20, which promised better accuracy of the altimeter; Instead, I immediately realized that after the update the altimeter (which previously worked very well, with very rare errors) presented a series of malfunctions that I list here:
1- non-continuous but only sporadic updates: the watch indicates the same altitude for a certain time even when it is in rapid movement, then updates everything in one fell swoop
2- incorrect interpretation of pressure variations, with car journeys in the mountain area mistaken for a variation in pressure and not in altitude, with the result of a totally uncorrect pressure graph and a flat altimetric graph even with an actual variations of hundreds of meters
3- altitude values ​​that vary randomly, providing at times (and perhaps only for a few seconds) values ​​that are upset by even two hundred meters, while remaining still, even a few minutes after a calibration.
4- altimeter data on the main screen which remains blocked until you enter altimeter mode
5- pressure graph that seems to me less precise than before, with much more evident "steps", as if it did not register the most subtle variations

Basically after the update a watch that behaved in an irreproachable way, with altitude and pressure graphs practically always correct (and which therefore interpreted pressure variations very well, distinguishing them between actual altitude variation and weather changes) became under this aspect absolutely unreliable , bordering on totally useless.

I am writing all this papyrus also hoping to be useful for resolving the problem at a general level, since from what I see the firmware that unfortunately I have installed today is no longer available, a sign that the problem is not mine alone.

So I would like to know if a further update is planned that will solve the problem or alternatively how to downgrade to the previous firmware, with which I was fine.
Thanks in advance for your attention and availability.
Sincerely
Andrea De Falco
  • ello, today I upgraded the firmware with version 22.20, which promised better accuracy of the altimeter; Instead, I immediately realized that after the update the altimeter (which previously worked very well, with very rare errors) presented a series of malfunctions that I list here: 1- non-continuous but only sporadic updates: the watch indicates the same altitude for a certain time even when it is in rapid movement, then updates everything in one fell swoop 2- incorrect interpretation of pressure variations, with car journeys in the mountain area mistaken for a variation in pressure and not in altitude, with the result of a totally uncorrect pressure graph and a flat altimetric graph even with an actual variations of hundreds of meters 3- altitude values ​​that vary randomly, providing at times (and perhaps only for a few seconds) values ​​that are upset by even two hundred meters, while remaining still, even a few minutes after a calibration. 4- altimeter data on the main screen which remains blocked until you enter altimeter mode 5- pressure graph that seems to me less precise than before, with much more evident "steps", as if it did not register the most subtle variations Basically after the update a watch that behaved in an irreproachable way, with altitude and pressure graphs practically always correct (and which therefore interpreted pressure variations very well, distinguishing them between actual altitude variation and weather changes) became under this aspect absolutely unreliable , bordering on totally useless. I am writing all this papyrus also hoping to be useful for resolving the problem at a general level, since from what I see the firmware that unfortunately I have installed today is no longer available, a sign that the problem is not mine alone. So I would like to know if a further update is planned that will solve the problem or alternatively how to downgrade to the previous firmware, with which I was fine. Thanks in advance for your attention and availability. Sincerely

I wrote the same message a second time because it was not easy to read ;)

• Today I had the same issue... I have made a 40km journey by car passing from 270mt to 80 and then 350... for my watch I'm still at 270mt (no variation at all) and all the pression difference was recorded in the barometer graph.

Till the last update I never had this problem!

really now the alti/baro function is almost useless...

• Check out what happened when I updated 5 Plus to 15.20 which supposedly should fix altimeter issues. I went on a first run and look what happened: connect.garmin.com/.../6799939247

Someone really screwed this up. I don't know where to start, everything is so messed up. I supposedly went from 287 meters to 12 500 meters yet ascent and descent show 53 and 807 meters respectively. And could someone please tell me how the continuous altimeter calibration is supposed to work? Because it's pretty clear that it ain't working. I've had enough of these altimeter issues. Been writing to Garmin for 3 months now but they say it's a software issue. Well they clearly didn't fix it with this update :/

• I have the same issues with my Tactix Charlie. I fly and skydive, so this is a very annoying bug!

• Just wanted to add my elevation issues with 15.20 with Fenix 5 Plus: Elevations during activities seem to be OK but when not in an activity I am getting random wild spikes and dips in elevations.  Never had this problem before 15.20.  The average elevation where I am is 350 feet or so.  No mountains or deep sea dives!

• Yes I have the same problem with my fenix 5, 22.20 firmware.
    The altitude function does not refresh. 

Garmin please help.