Battery life (or lack of)

Hi guys,
I got my new fenix 5 two week ago, and the battery life has been pretty poor. I'm only getting 3-4 days between charges. That's with the HR always on and averaging a bit over 40 kms of running per week (so less than 4hrs of GPS). I'm also just using stock watchface.
I was expecting much longer battery life than this? Or is this pretty standard? What other widgets would be draining it?
Thanks !
  • If you had searched within the forum you would found this thread with some informations about "battery drain" and "battery lifetime savings"...

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/on-the-trail/wrist-worn/fenix-5-5s/1330185-fenix-5-battery-9-per-day-in-watch-mode
  • Hi guys,
    I got my new fenix 5 two week ago, and the battery life has been pretty poor. I'm only getting 3-4 days between charges. That's with the HR always on and averaging a bit over 40 kms of running per week (so less than 4hrs of GPS). I'm also just using stock watchface.
    I was expecting much longer battery life than this? Or is this pretty standard? What other widgets would be draining it?
    Thanks !

I'm basically the same as you as regards usage but I'm getting 6-8 days. What widgets/apps/datafields you using? One of them must be a battery drain... Tried a power cycle, or a drain to zero/recharge?
  • Thanks guys, I did a search but it came up with literally hundreds of posts.
    I only really have the stock widgets and datasets. I'll do a power cycle and recharge/drain over the next few days and see how it goes after that...
  • The biggest power drain is potentially the backlight, so it's worth checking the backlight settings. Each 10% backlight draws about 1.5% of battery per hour, so 100% backlight will deplete the battery VERY fast. I find 10%-20% backlight works fine. Also check the length of the time-out period.

If like most of us, when you get a new watch, you are installing/uninstalling apps, datafields and widgets to find a combination that works for you (and also updating FW out of the box?). This can lead to looping code, and the processor working harder than it should be. A hard reset can clean a lot of this up, and significantly improve battery life.

One other thing is that BLE has a limited range, and operating it at extreme range (eg. you are in one end of your house, while you phone is at the other) can lead to the BT chip working at full power. Turning off the BT on the watch in these conditions can help.
  • Ok, so this week I've had two full drains/charges and done a hard reset.

My back light is set to 10% and only comes on for key press after sunset. I have no apps, watchfaces or widgets other than the stock ones. I have BT notifications turned on but my phone is almost always within a few metres of me as I'm on call all the time.

After charging overnight last night I've lost 16% battery in about 11 hours (no activities). And that's only doing 1 sync with Connect when I woke up, other than I've done nothing except check the time!

Not sure what else I can do? It seems I'm getting significantly less battery life than everyone else?
  • Ok, so this week I've had two full drains/charges and done a hard reset.

My back light is set to 10% and only comes on for key press after sunset. I have no apps, watchfaces or widgets other than the stock ones. I have BT notifications turned on but my phone is almost always within a few metres of me as I'm on call all the time.

After charging overnight last night I've lost 16% battery in about 11 hours (no activities). And that's only doing 1 sync with Connect when I woke up, other than I've done nothing except check the time!

Not sure what else I can do? It seems I'm getting significantly less battery life than everyone else?

Yeah that sounds like a return to the retailer scenario. That's very poor battery life. I too set the backlight like that and I've used less than 3% in a similar time! While you're waiting for an RMA, load the MyBattery Widget which gives %age drain per hour
  • On FW 9.2 Battery life decreased by 30-50% as reported by many users (including me) on this forum - but not all (some reported no deviation). Now I get also 6-8 days, before it was 14-21.
    Yesterday I did restore to factory settings and do not install any apps or watchfaces (only 1 Uber) - I'll let you know if it helps.
  • After restore to factory settings, my battery life is back to normal = great battery performance. I did it on 26 or 27 of July at ~70%, today, after 2 runs (each 1h with 1s GPS) it is 43% left. Stock watchface + bluetooth notifications.
  • Hello,
    yesterday I ran my first marathon and my watch stopped out of battery of after 4h10.
    Did someone run longer with a fenix 5s ?

Here some details of my config :

fenix 5s firmware 10.0.0
    Battery charged at 100% during the night before the race.
    bluetooth activated
    LiveTrack activated
    metronome activated with vibration alert.

I'll test soon without the metronome to see if there is a big difference.