Battery life (or lack of)

Hi guys,
I got my new fenix 5 two week ago, and the battery life has been pretty poor. I'm only getting 3-4 days between charges. That's with the HR always on and averaging a bit over 40 kms of running per week (so less than 4hrs of GPS). I'm also just using stock watchface.
I was expecting much longer battery life than this? Or is this pretty standard? What other widgets would be draining it?
Thanks !
  • Hello,
    yesterday I ran my first marathon and my watch stopped out of battery of after 4h10.
    Did someone run longer with a fenix 5s ?

Here some details of my config :

fenix 5s firmware 10.0.0
    Battery charged at 100% during the night before the race.
    bluetooth activated
    LiveTrack activated
    metronome activated with vibration alert.

I'll test soon without the metronome to see if there is a big difference.

I'd say that the metronome was the killer - vibration motor would almost certainly be the biggest power draw. I've done half marathons and used around 10-12 % tops
  • For an example - if you had a metronome vibe alert every sec (just to make the maths easier) over the course of a marathon thats 4X3600 + 600 = 15000 vibrations. There's your battery killer right there, as the vibration motor being a physical device would have a large current draw.
  • The battery duration is not the best quality in this device , without notifications and gps, my average duration is 8 days

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i844.photobucket.com\/albums\/ab5\/fcasoli\/batteria%20fenix_zpserpwjdjf.jpg"}[/IMG2]ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1406091.jpg
  • After my last post I returned my watch to garmin and they replaced it. I received the new one today so i'm hoping the battery is much better!

When I was on the phone to support they said they don't recommend connecting the charger to a wall adapter, it should only be connected to a USB port on a laptop or PC. I found this strange as I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else...?
  • After my last post I returned my watch to garmin and they replaced it. I received the new one today so i'm hoping the battery is much better!

When I was on the phone to support they said they don't recommend connecting the charger to a wall adapter, it should only be connected to a USB port on a laptop or PC. I found this strange as I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else...?

Well... to be fair, that's what it says in the manual...

ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1406768.png
  • Haha!!! I went back and checked and still didn't see that
  • I have fenix 5s plus sapphire. Up to a few weeks ago battery would last up to a week with my usual habbits. Recently, battery started draining rapidly and now it needs to be charged every day. It drops up to 40% daily with no activity or gps or tracking. I removed additional watch faces and even all the widgets that I do not often use, cleaned charging pins with alcohol and powered off/on both warch and app. Few days ago I tried to update it using garmin express but it is up to date. All with no success. I am frustrated now. I do not see any versions for the display, software is 12.0