Car mode - Steps count

Dear GARMIN team,

1) why is not posible add "CAR mode" when the steps countig will be disable?
Turn on with GPS after up ti 20 km/h or with any shortcut.

2) Turn off dipslay. Display only dim but not turn off? It will be better for battery, This function have more inteligent clock.. :)

Thanks
Robert
  • Dear GARMIN team,

Thanks
    Robert

For this to be possible the GPS would either have to be constantly running or regularly polled. Either way this would have a significant impact on battery life.
  • Dear GARMIN team,

2) Turn off dipslay. Display only dim but not turn off? It will be better for battery, This function have more inteligent clock.. :)

Thanks
    Robert

IIRC The Fenix has a transflective display which means you're not talking a huge battery inc in switching it off. Personally I like the always on, and there's a few black screen watch faces in the IQ store
  • Dear GARMIN team,

Thanks
    Robert

Are you getting steps counted while driving? Just seems a lot of effort for minimal savings...
  • I've definitely hit steps goals whilst being sat in the car, and I'm certain I've reached flights climbed goals also, slightly disappointing...
    Should be a bit smarter like the Sony watch metrics with car journeys being recorded for accuracy, I mean driving is technically a sport.
    The Garmin F5 even picks up toothbrushing, very sensitive, easily get 200 steps, only wear my Garmin on the left wrist now to try and avoid inaccurate readings.
  • I've definitely hit steps goals whilst being sat in the car, and I'm certain I've reached flights climbed goals also, slightly disappointing...
    Should be a bit smarter like the Sony watch metrics with car journeys being recorded for accuracy, I mean driving is technically a sport.
    The Garmin F5 even picks up toothbrushing, very sensitive, easily get 200 steps, only wear my Garmin on the left wrist now to try and avoid inaccurate readings.

You're never going to get truly accurate step metrics unless you wear something on your ankle, and even then it's going to have false positives. I have to be honest I've never seen steps added while driving, just seems a bit odd :)

Step metrics are always going to be relative, rather than absolute. TBH its got to the point now I don't really are about steps per day....:)
  • On Thursday, June 28, 2018, I was in Acadia National Park (Maine). As it was bucketing down decided to take a 3 hour bus ride around the area (though this was my 11th time to the Park). Sat at the very back of the bus and it was bouncy and I had to constantly grab things to stop from sliding. Discovered halfway that my Fenix 5 was counting steps like CRAZY and at the end of the 3 hours had counted 8,000! That is nearly 3 miles. I am CRUSHED. Made my steps for all the other days at the park meaningless. I am just doing a post, on my blog, with Garmin Connect screenshots. We need a WIDGET that will disable step counting at the press of a button. Gather Fitbit has it -- though I have not seen it. This is NOT acceptable. I am CRUSHED.
  • CRUSHED? You can’t be serious, mate...
  • You're never going to get truly accurate step metrics unless you wear something on your ankle, and even then it's going to have false positives. I have to be honest I've never seen steps added while driving, just seems a bit odd :)

Step metrics are always going to be relative, rather than absolute. TBH its got to the point now I don't really are about steps per day....:)

I agree with this, but it would be nice to see Garmin attempting to improve accuracy. As I'm sure it can be abused for the 65k step challenge (or maybe I'm just a sore loser)...
    TBH I think I may just ditch the steps measurements, my elevation gain has been really bad recently as well, after the update I've not been hitting goals despite climbing more stairs than ever!
    Certainly not what I want from a £500 watch. lol.
  • Hi Guys!

I find it awful, that the Fenix counts the steps every time you swim. That was the same with the Fenix 3 as it was now with my Fenix 5.

Greets DC
  • Hi Guys!

I find it awful, that the Fenix counts the steps every time you swim. That was the same with the Fenix 3 as it was now with my Fenix 5.

Greets DC

Hi Studnik!

Do you use the swimming activity? If not, using it may stop the steps being recorded and should improve accuracy.
    If you do use the swimming activity, it would be good to know, because if the steps are being recorded during activity tracking, that's something I feel Garmin should fix or verify it's correct.
    You would've thought that a Fenix would be able to tell it's being used for swimming and do a MoveIQ activity which then negates steps count.

For now, keep it rouleur!

Levi