This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin fenix 5s will not charge

When I connect to the usb cable it just shows a battery on the screen of the watch, it will not power on, cannot do a soft reset either. When I unplug screen goes blank. Not sure what to do next?

please help me!

• How long do you leave it plugged in when you get the battery on the screen? If it has depleted below about 5% it takes a few minutes before the watch boots up. Try leaving it plugged in for an hour or so and see what the charge indicator displays......

• I have now cleaned all the contacts, watch and lead and it just sits on the screen with the battery. 

• Leave it plugged back in for a while. If possible, try using a dedicated USB power supply (I use my iPad charger). Regardless of what others on this forum say, you can’t damage the watch using a standard 5v USB charger. The watch will draw the appropriate current that it’s been designed to. In fact, the higher the wattage of the charger, the better. 

• It has been on charge all day and still stuck on that screen, as soon as you remove power it goes blank. Not sure what else to try?

• It could be the cable itself...? Other than that I would have to say the battery logic module or battery itself has failed......

• The same happened to me after 12.71 beta update. I disconnected the watch, turned it off for like 5 minutes, reconnected to power, and since then, it works again.

• For me turning off/on did not help. However, I was looking at the USB connection properties and switched from MTP file protocol to Garmin option and it seems to be doing better, at least on a computer. We will see.

• Sounds reasonable: I get the feeling that it is the Spotify sync that interferes with the charging software. I think that Garmin mode might not let the computer see the files on the watch, at least not in a transparent way. You might not be able to transfer music or other files from your computer to your watch in Garmin mode, but it's worth a try.

• I have huge issues about the charging and battery drain (up to 70% daily without activity), right now I am switching to 12.71 version and trying this Garmin mode, hoping something will help. If anyone have additional advice, please let me know :)

• I have been experiencing the same exact issue for the past year. Garmin support sent me a cable to test, and same result. Used different power sources (laptops, wall units, etc.), cleaned connectors multiple ways (alcohol, tarnish remover, knife/ascaler). An additional symptom I've been having is that the battery superheats to the point I cant touch the watch. Garmin support has offered me a refurbished model as a replacement for $120. Not sure if its worth sticking with Garmin if this is just going to be a repetitive issue and money pit...