Replacement for battery for Fenix 5 Plus

The battery in my Fenix 5 Plus is losing capacity gradually. Instead of 4 days on a charge when I got it (it was pre-owned) it now has to be charged every 2 days (with similar usage). As it has no warranty I'll be replacing the battery myself, and I see some batteries available of the right type/model number (361-00097-00 Model ASDB402334-P1) but they are always listed as suitable for Fenix 5, 5s and 5X. 5 Plus is not mentioned. Batteries that are listed as suitable for the 5 Plus are used, and I don't want a used one. So I wonder if anyone has replaced their battery with a new one, and if so, what battery did you use and where did you order it from?

• Are you sure that it's the battery and not an app or a configuration causing the drain? Did you use a high capacity charger? The battery should last at least for 5 years!

In Europe you have 2 years warranty....

• The 5 and 5 plus batteries are similar. 361-00096-00 is suited for 5s, 5, 5x; 361-00097-00 for 5, 5x; 361-00098-00 is only for 5x versions. I managed to fit the 5x battery into the 5 case with the help of a soldering iron.

The problem with non-original batteries (e.g., Cameron Sino 361-00097-00) that they have rectangular shape. But still this is not a problem if you have pliers.

I ordered the original 361-00098-00 battery from the local store in Russia. But I was ready to purchase them from AliExpress. 

• Artem,4 or 5 days ago I read your original post about putting 5X battery into the 5 case.  You mentioned the hourly discharge rate in the very short term, just right after the replacement.

Can you please elaborate that what is your normal daily or hourly discharge rate for a little longer term? Averaging for the past 4-5 days.

And could you please specify whether it is with the factory watchface or not, with seconds always on or not. And that sort of. I also think about to improve the battery time of my F5+ without acquiring a F6X.

Thanks a lot,

Zoltan

• Thanks, that is good to know! I found a local supplier who has the right battery, but with rectangular shape. They told me that I can return it for a refund if it won't fit. So that is safe to try.

My watch is out of warranty, it was bought used, and if the previous owner(s) let the battery go totally empty many times or left it on the charger for weeks, that would explain the state it is in now. It's always a risk when buying used goods with a rechargeable battery.

• But still this is not a problem if you have pliers.

You bent the battery?

• Can you tell exactly how you put in the 5x Plus Battery in the 5 Plus?

• I haven't visited the forum for a long time) I added some solder to each of the three contact pins to make them taller. Then I leveled the height using a micro file.

• Ah OK. So there were no problems with the battery-size?

The only problem are the contacts?

• I was worried about maybe having to deform (yikes!!) a replacement battery with a rectangular shape, so I bought this battery with rounded corners on one side on Aliexpress, type 361-00097-00-Fenix 5. It is not specifically listed as suited for the 5 Plus, but the type number matches and it looks to be the same as in Artem's photos of the original. Only issue: I am not 100% sure that it is new - some parts sold are harvested from old devices.

I have not installed it yet, ordered it ahead of time, expecting the battery-drain issue to become worse, but it didn't. 3-4 days between charges, not too bad. 

• Thanks for the information, but my purpose was to "upgrade" the fenix 5 with the 5x battery since it has nearly double the capacity.