This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error: "Route calculation error. Not enough memory available"

It was asked a year ago and the suggestion was to reset the watch and I really don't want to because of my dozen saved locations.  

How much space do I need?  I deleted a large app and a large watch face I don't really use and it didn't help.  

According to Garmin Express, I have 11 apps installed I have free space of 835KB.  How much space do I need and where can I find some more?  

I deleted stuff and got it up to 1.3 megs... no dice

Also... is it memory, as in RAM, or memory as in storage?

• Route calculation error has nothing common with the memory used by maps and other stuff on internal disk. It is only map issue. You can try to update map, simplify your route, use another settings (check for Settings - Navigation menu).

At the same time reset is a necessary operation, especially if you never did it. It can resolve some issues so it worth to try.

Also it would be better always to have a backup.

You should save your locations using Basecamp software.

Before reset you can save your data files

support.garmin.com/.../

as well as the garmin/apps folder.

• > At the same time reset is a necessary operation, especially if you never did it. It can resolve some issues so it worth to try.

What do you mean 'never did'?  The watch isn't even 6 months old.  That feels like a really short time to have to reset.

>Also it would be better always to have a backup.

>You should save your locations using Basecamp software.

What about how I've set up my watch apps?  The article isn't clear if that will be saved.  

• I've had this once. I tried a few times and then it worked. As for saved locations, if you're on a watch which is supported by Garmin Explore then you can use that as your backup for waypoints.

• I'd suggest to reset device every quarter or with every major sw update.

Just copy Garmin/Apps to PC, reset, and then restore to device. Article ignores that backup for unknown reason, but I tested and confirm, it works.

• Do not use Explore for backup. It will damage your waypoint properties like icons and altitude, among with the creation date. Use Basecamp instead, much safer way.

• Oh. Is it? Never did have too much experience w waypoints backup and such. I just use Explore. The icons seems to retain from watch and explore. Creation date and altitude I have no idea. 

Perhaps if usage mode is like me - light and simple it works. I only have like 15-20 waypoints. 

• You probably have too many songs that Spotify. For me it helped to remove half of 200

• I have exactly the same problem as mentioned by the op... 

Fenix 5x plus 8.40...latest maps. 

Error code not enough memory.. when trying to navigate to... for instance a poi.....or plot on the map.....even a short distance is not possible.... on the pre installed maps.... or any other map I've installed. The answer is to power cycle my watch when it happens....about every 5 to 9 activities. 

Also Motorcycle and Automobile routing has been discontinued on my device....  but works with third party routable maps. 

I'll report it by phone to customer support. 

• Just contacted product support by email and phone.. ... Apparently I'm the first to report the issue!.......

Its not going to be escalated until I delete my poi's to rule out the problem.... It would also be very helpful if others reported it. 

• This was fixed in Software Version 9.00. If you continue to have issues, please contact Garmin Support or start a new forum thread.