Glitchy Gesture Activation

I’m having some issues with activation of the screen in gesture mode.

Intermittently, particularly when it’s been a while since I last looked at the watch, when I turn my wrist to activate the watch, it will only activate extremely briefly- a flicker really. Even pressing buttons or tapping the screen has the same effect. It can be difficult to activate the watch when this happens- usually takes a number of attempts before the screen comes on and stays on. At other times it works as I would expect.

I’ve updated the firmware, restarted, and then reset to factory settings all to no avail. I wonder if this is a hardware fault with gesture detection.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

Thanks.

• I have a more serious issue. My watch does not come on again after it went on sleep mode. I had to reset everytime it does that by pressing light button for 15-25 sec. I have sent the watch back to the authorized dealer which is annoying coz now i dont have running watch. It is a glitch definately. I hope garmin will do something about all these glitches.

• Hi Chris 

I also have the issue with gesture not working, also when I try and disable and use ‘always on’ it ignores it.

Currently only way to view to view screen is to press lap or light button. :-(

• Can I also add that in ‘activity’ mode I don’t seem to have the problem, maybe it is something to do with enabling gesture mode in ‘general use’ and it gets stuck in the in that profile and gesture mode also isn’t working well…. ?

• Hi Chris

Can I also add that in ‘activity’ mode I don’t seem to have the problem, maybe it is something to do with enabling gesture mode in ‘general use’ and it gets stuck in that profile and gesture mode in general also isn’t working well…. ?

• Hi Chris

it may depend on what watch face you have, although I haven’t had the watch long enough to be certain.

kind regards

Brian

• I have got the issue with the standard face

• Same issue with my new Epix 2 black sapphire.  Worked fine the first couple of days, now I’m getting the issue shown in your video (though with a different watch face).  Basically, it works fine after a restart for a few minutes, then it starts doing it.  If I raise my wrist, the display gets brighter like expected but just for a split second and then it goes dim again. Sometimes touch stops working altogether and then only way to fix it is to either 1) restart the watch again, or 2) turn off Touch in the System settings.  Once touch is turned off, the watch works as expected and the screen comes on with the wrist gesture.  

If I turn off gesture in settings, it doesn’t fit the problem.  If I switch watch faces, it still does it but it looks different because of the AOD visuals. 

if a factory reset doesn’t fix it, it sounds like a hardware problem.   

EDIT:  Late last night, I updated the watch to 7.24 via Garmin Express and so far today, this problem has not reoccurred.  Note that neither a soft reset (powering down via the menu) nor a hard reset (holding down the Light button and restarting) worked last night.  I'm hoping the firmware update fixed the problem, but I suspect it will reoccur since the firmware update did not specifically address this problem.  I have contacted Chris and sent the information I have so that the engineers can diagnose. 

Speculating, it seems to be a problem that is due to a conflict/glitch between the AOD activation mechanism and touch screen.  When using the AOD display with Touch disabled, it works without issue.  When using the touch screen inside of the Glances widgets or in an activity, it works fine.  It's only the combination of the AOD and Touch that the problem occurs, so far in my experience.  What exactly caused it to begin (software issue or hardware issue) is yet unknown as it did not occur during the first few days of use, but did it ALL day yesterday.

• Same problem here.  Base model, AOD/gesture/touch activated.  I got the watch on Feb 10, and it worked fine for the first 2 days.  Started having the problem today.  I validated that the watch is running the most current firmware (7.24).  Restarting the watch seems to temporarily fix it for me, but only for a few mins to an hour.  Very frustrating given the price tag on this thing.  I sent a private message to Chris.

Given that this thread started about 3 weeks ago, has anyone received any response from Garmin?  I'm tempted to just try to return this thing to where I bought it if there is no response from Garmin and/or the answer is a hardware problem/defect.  Way too expensive of a watch to have this problem out of the box.

Add: I've also noticed that touch no longer works when this is happening.  The only way to get a response from the watch is to use the buttons.  At this point, I'm going to try to return this thing if I can.  The watch isn't usable in AOD/touch/gesture mode.  My guess is there is a batch with bad hardware...otherwise, there would be a lot more folks complaining about it if the issue was the software.

Posted a video here: https://youtu.be/hAphwtivimA

• Since I upgraded the firmware to 7.24 via Garmin Express, my watch has not done this again (2 days now without the issue).  Not sure if it’s gone for good, but it’s worth a try if you haven’t updated yet.  But yeah, it’s definitely a bad bug that shouldn’t be there.   Chris did reply to my private message and said the engineers are monitoring the issue, but no word yet on a cause or fix. 

EDIT:  Never mind, I see you are already on 7.24.   Not sure why updating fixed it for me, but I do imagine it will happen again. Must be a series of events that causes it to occur. 

• I have a weird gesture problem maybe people have mentioned already but I use tilt to wake with no aod. While im on a phone call the notification will repeat over and over again almost nonstop. It’s should only notify once when the call comes in. For example my wife called. I was on the call for 6 minutes and 18 seconds and got 22 notifications that i was on a call. Definitely a bug that needs to be looked at.