Descent Mk3i tone and alarm volume

The volume of tone and alarm of my watch is very low. I had previously an Epix 2 and the volume was satisfactory. I bought a descendent Mk3i and the volume is so low I can barely hear it.

It could be acceptable for running or work out, however I found quite dangerous during diving, I cannot hear alarm in the water due to very low volume, and vibration for me is not enough.

Should  I bring the watch back and ask to change under warranty or it's a problem common to all Mk3i?

• To be hones, it is hard to judge.
    I had previously Fenix 7X and don't feel/hear any difference between Fenix 7 and Descent MK3i.

• Hi Adam, I tend to agree with you. However, as I said in my post, it could be acceptable if you cannot hear properly an alarm because of very low volume while running or doing any other activity  (evenif when I used my Epix 2, the sound was very good and during running I can hear the alarm when my heart beat reached the limit low / high or when I reached target distance); but if you don't get an alarm about DNL when you are at diving at -30meters (it happened to me) and even the vibration is not so strong to alert you (it happened to me), you risk your life... and this watch (mk3i) is a model dedicated and certified for diving!

• Agree.
    Cannot assess how it will be during dive, I didn't had a chance to do any dives with my watch so far.
    I would say, under water, I will mor rely on vibrations than sounds.

• Hello

Unfortunately there is not a way to adjust the volume or strength of the alert/vibration. This is not going to be a loud or stronger alert likely that what you see with the Epix gen2. However, if you are seeing this being noticeable weaker or quieter than the Epix gen2, this could indicate a problem. 

First I would recommend installing the 16.25 SW update. You can use Garmin Express to do this. Then test to see if this issue still exists. If it does, I would recommend reaching out to Garmin Product Support. 

• I’m bummed about how quiet the ‘scuba alert’ alarm is along with how low the haptic vibration is. Definitely a concern regarding my safety, especially when I have a lot of tasks to do and short NDL times. The Shearwater Tern I checked out at the dive shop had an intense vibration. Super noticeable. Wish the MK3i had the same. 

• I compared my dive alerts on my MK3 with a MK2 and the tone is significantly lower. In a room, my alert can only be heard when the watch is 5cm from my ear whereas the MK2 can be heard across the room. 
    Basically, my alerts can’t be hear underwater even when wearing the computer in my hoodie, making the computer useless at best, dangerous at worst.

My Mk3 software is up to date as of today.

Is this a software problem or hardware ?

• I think it's HW, I also have the Tactix 7 along with the MK3i, and all generation of Apple Watch and Ultra. I think Garmin needs to put a stronger haptic chip in their watches, both Garmin's vibration are weak compare to Apple's, and Ultra has a very loud alarm. 

Normally it's not an issue but as a dive computer, Garmin really needs to step up here. 

• I think you need report it to Garmin support.
    My MK3i alarm and vibration are much stronger and definitely I can hear it from couple meters.

• hi Adam,

I already reported to Garmin support. They asked to send a video of the tone and vibration.

I used MK3i for another diving at 33mtr, I basically looked at the watched every 2 minutes. I see the alarm when NDL reached 5/6 minutes on the screen but I could not feel any vibration ( I mean there is a vibration but I do not feel as it is very very soft).

Funny story... people with me had different brand watches and complaining about the opposite... their watches start vibrating as soon they reach ~5 mn NDL  without stopping and they did not like the strong vibration :) :) :)

note: I also reset the watch 2 times to factory settings and installed latest update (16.25)... it did not change anything, still very low volume, still very low vibration; it's a shame for a $2,000 watch (I got the 51mm with titanium strap/band) specific designed for diving 

• Glad you mentioned you have the 51mm (mine's the 43) because I was wondering if the larger version had more room for a larger haptic vibration motor (if that's what it's called.?.?). Guess the 51's not any better. If internal component size/space is the issue with the Mk 3's, maybe Garmin could design an ancillary component that could house a better haptic/audio system that could be adjusted by the wearer (maybe something that can slide onto the watch band or a bracelet-like contraption). The audio could have a choice of frequencies and intensities to choose from (high pitches are fading as I get older:/ ) and the haptic motor can be adjusted based on exposure suit thickness. Just a thought.