Safety stop when DECO?

Diving whit MK2i (v.8.40), when a dive becomes a DECO dive, once I've finished the DECO stop, safety stop is not required...

Last dive I tried just for check, at 21m I had 2 DECO mins at 3m. Ascending slowly, those 2 min disappeared before reaching 5m (safety stop deep), so when I reached 5m the watch didn't ask me to wait there for 3 min. If this is recommended in no-DECO dives,  should be much more when is a DECO one.

Any one knows about it? I asume that is a software error...

• I guess they consider that if you have deco and want to increase your security, you must offset your GF accordingly.
    They could have specified in the manual that security stops are only valid for no déco diving

• Am I wrong to think that that's why we use dive computers? Especially when we pay upwards of $2k. My teric certainly didn't have this issue. 

• I have noticed a similar issue with the MK3i.

• Deco dive --> safety stop never triggers
    • Non-deco dive --> safety stop triggers.

My parameters are always safety stop = 3 minutes.

Has anyone had similar behavior and/or found a fix for this?

• I have the same on my MK2i since the beginning. I was surprised but now I think it is by design. Garmin is probably thinking that if you want more deco, you should act on your gradient factors. I agree that it is not clear and not necessarily what most divers are expecting as behavior. 

• Agreed this is not clear at all and  I cannot find anywhere whether this is a bug or expected behavior.

Mandatory stops triggered by the gradient factor and safety stops should be treated as two very different things. There is no logic to include it on non-deco dives but not on deco dives...

• I am a little confused about the concern over this functionality. If you are doing a decompression dive, then the dive team should have planned out the stops before entering the water. Those stops should be sufficient to get you out of the water with your preferred margin of safety, while also accounting for other factors such as gas planning, environmental hazards, surface support coordination, etc. There is no need for a "safety stop" beyond the planned deco schedule. The deco stops indicated by dive computer merely serve as an additional cross check to help prevent mistakes while executing the planned deco schedule.

On the other hand, if you're accidentally exceeding the NDL and going into deco without proper planning then you have another problem.

• I mean... you're just putting into question the concept of a safety stop as a whole. I don't disagree with you, the safety stop is always an option whether you're doing a deco or non-deco dive. It has nothing to do with the planning of the deco stops/non deco/gas etc, it's just an added margin that has nothing to do with the profile of the dive.

I'm not questioning this, I'm questioning the logic and coherence of the watch. If the option is turned on, then it should be on for all types of dives. Especially given a safety stop serves the exact same purpose during a deco dive or a non deco dive: add a small margin of safety.

• The watch design is logical and coherent. Tacking on an arbitrary extra "safety stop" on top of a planned deco schedule doesn't necessarily add a small margin of safety. In real world diving it may be the opposite due to gas management, water temperature, surface support coordination, etc. These are holistic dive planning issues that should have been covered in your technical diving courses. Or if you haven't completed such training then I recommend taking a step back and stop doing deco dives that you're not prepared for.

If what you want is longer shallow stops during deco dives then just reduce the High GF%.

• It doesn't sound like you have a whole lot of experience with dive computers or diving in general as a matter of fact, but thanks a lot for the condescending help.

• It happens that some get a little unplanned deco time especially after a lot of diving as it is the case on a liveaboard. Usually this deco disappears while slowly ascending.