The watch Garmin MK2i doesn't give turn by turn instructions

By trekking when I want to repeat a route that I have previously created with the watch, it doesn't give me turn by turn instructions.

It doesn't either give me turn by turn instructions when I download GPX routes and I add them to garmin connect.

• After 8 months waiting, it seems like Garmin does not care about this 1500€ product anymore and won't save the bugs

• The new 12.2 firmware update, after 1 year of waiting, is not solving this issue. Routes still do not show turn by turn instructions on the MK2 when they are loaded from the Garmin Connect app to the watch. 

I don't think Garmin support is looking at this forum...

• interesting… can you share how you created this route?

• Just change your routing settings in the activity you are using to 'Use map". 

It will work with any gpx file, but the basic condition is an installed map on the device. The watch will use your route as a template to create the closest possible route. There are two problems. Routes will not necessarily coincide perfectly (more and more often they do, Garmin as a source of their maps has been using OpenStreetMap for a long time, so there is not much difference in roads between Garmin's maps and the maps on which routes are usually plotted). Waiting for the watch to "calculate" the route is also quite an inconvenience. Depending on the length of the route this can take up to 10 minutes.

There is also a faster method (with the watch set to "Follow course" in the routing options) but it requires purchasing the Premium option on https://dynamic.watch ($29.99 for an Endless plan) and application routeCourse on your watch:

dynamicwatch.zendesk.com/.../360007147772-TCX-and-Ride-with-GPS-Cue-Sheets

...or a purchased Strava subscription. 

• In the map section of settings have you switched on 'lock on road'?

Ive had turn by turn navigation for driving and other activities from start, it works really well.

Switch it off if you want a direct route though

• To illustrate more precisely the missing turn by turn functionality in the MK2i, here is a link to an interesting video: Pas de guidage turn by turn Garmin ? Explication et solution - YouTube. It is in French but translation can be activated.

Basically, it says that TCX files contains instructions and GPX files does not. Therefore, as long as you are loading a TCX via Garmin Connect or USB cable, or creating a route from Garmin Connect, the watch displays turn by turn instructions. And this is not the case when loading directly a GPX, because GPX has no instructions embedded. The test is made on a Fenix 6. This does not work with the MK2i.

On MK2i, whenever loading a TCX or creating a route from scratch from Garmin Connect, there is no instruction. I only get the total remaining distance next to the arrival flag, the same as in the video when he loads a simple GPX file (with no instruction) into his Fenix. Looks like the MK2i does not read the instructions or the instructions were deleted during the transfer by Garmin Connect.

When I transfer a TCX to the watch by USB /New files, the route is not displayed in the list of routes in the watch.