Why is the MK2i missing so many Fenix 6 features?

Missing surf mode, missing recovery heart rate, missing sleep features, missing workout recovery insights like the most Fenix 6, missing other activities that are on the Fenix 6. Why? This watch is much more expensive. 

Garmin please fix the outdated software and missing features.

• So what is the upshot?  Because the one thing I cant seem to find info on is what Fenix sport features the descent has.  I have a Fenix 7X with solar and such. Ive somehow lost my dive computer and am wondering if I should sell this and get the descent mk2i or mk3i.  But for example I use Garmin bluetooth cycling accessories, do they work?  What else is missing or is it generally feature parity at a release point?

• The mk3ki is based on 6X so many 7x features limited by hardware differences. Visiting the mk3ki forum will help better understand the feature set (e.g., no ekg, etc). 

I can comment on the mk2ki I've had since 2020. I use HRM Pro strap and RTL515 (radar/light) for all my road cycling. While riding I stream tunes to Jabra earbuds. The RTL515 radar audible warnings chime over the audio. It works very well. I also use the HRM Pro for running to measure avg/max run cadence, vertical ratio, GC time balance, ground contact time, etc.  While diving I use a T1 HP sensor that works very well.

Personally, no hurry to upgrade just for AMOLED. Waiting for 7x hardware based (mk4i?).

• I got both, the Fenix 6x and the Mk3i. The Mk3 is definitly not based on the fenix6. It has more Features. I think it is based on the Epix2

My first dive with it is still waiting (June) but I think it is a great upgrade compared to Fenix which I used for hiking mainly.

• Wow thanks, are the fitness features look basically the same?  Does it pair with bike sensors and such?  Interesting you say it has more features and @islehopper says it has less.

• I suppose it makes sense to use tried and true hardware /software and also to close beta access for a dive computer.  I remember on twitter saying to Suunto that I was leaving them for Garmin when the descent first came out, their answer was 'good luck with that' and something about their reliability and too many features.  So really I'm glad they figured it out.  Have been very impressed with mu 7X so far.  I honestly don't know what Suunto are thinking any more - and ditching their nice stable OS and using android was the final straw for me.

• The Fenix isn't perfect either but I don't remember any instability during activities which included 12h walks. However, for diving I will have a Mares Puck as backup.