How Good is Wrist HR During Dives?

I'd like to capture my HR during SCUBA dives when I finally get to use my G1 'in anger' in a few week's time.

For those who've dived with it already, does the wrist-based oHRM give good enough readings when diving if worn securely next to the skin, or should I use my HRM-Pro?

• Probably a little late for you, but I checked my dive logs and the heart rate data don't have gaps or unusual spikes, as my running data do if I don't tighten the watch band. I don't take my pulse manually during a dive, but they show my heart rate high at the beginning of a dive as I would expect (getting gear on, jumping in). It drops to a relatively flat 70-80 bpm during most of the dive (calm water) with short periods in the high 80s or low 90s (contorting myself through a swim-through, trying to get just the right position for a photo, most likely). Then an elevation when the depth is less than 10ft till the dive ends (swimming to boat ladder, 1m delay till end would mean I may be getting gear off or climbing a ladder). All of this is consistent with my pulse on land based activities, considering my heart doesn't have to pump blood against gravity for most of the dive (I'm horizontal) and my body is supported by the water.

• Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I’ve had chance to try it myself over the last couple of weeks and my experience reflects yours - I’m surprised at how good it continued to work under water. The only ‘awkwardness’ was a 30m dive which needed a full-length wetsuit. I folded the cuff back, but it kept covering the watch. Of course I could have used the extended strap, but then wouldn’t have been able to get the HR.