G1 Bugs

The programming is backwards:

When connected to phone it should be 45 Days, when disconnected from phone it should be 114 Days but it’s reading backwards (connected to phone 114/D, not connected 45/D)

Update: It seems to work as intended when HR is enabled. When it’s disabled (as seen in these pictures), it when the battery information is incorrect.

Flashlight Bug:

When set as a hot key and used, it doesn’t work. The control panel flashlight works fine, just not the hot key.

Correction: While it works (CP option), when you hit the start key, it dims and doesn’t work anymore.

Battery Saver Seconds Issue:

While on the main watch page, the seconds disappear as a battery saver. You really have to flick your wrist hard and/or several times to get it to come back. It’s not as sensitive as the other models (Instinct). One time, I had to flick my wrist 4 times before the seconds came back on. (Using the watch face that has the graph).

• “Calling” Garmin to resolve a hardware issue is always the best way to go but calling them to report software issues isn’t their cup of tea. I learned this when the MK1 didn’t have Magnetic North included when it just came out and after calling and speaking to several “techs”, it was only resolved by a Garmin employee (here) making an official report.

I’m a bit old-fashioned, and I prefer to talk to somebody in person or over the phone to resolve problems, but unfortunately it doesn’t really work with Garmin. They’re good helping you one on one with your watch, they’re not good in the overall setting to resolve problems (their specialty divisions) with the software.

• I've called them for software issues (like waking up in the morning to have my Mk1 tell me I'd done 15,000 steps and some 45 floors while sleeping).  It got me a case number and an email address so I could send photos and screen shots of the problem.

I never did get an answer (typical Garmin) but I was at least able to dump all the data on to them in case they wanted to investigate.

There was another software problem where, again, I got a case number and email address, and this one was followed up by a tech.

• Hey Guys, sorry for the delay in getting a response in here. First of all, thanks for the thorough initial rundown of the watch and bringing those bugs to our attention. All of the issues addressed in this thread are related to the Instinct 2 and currently have open tickets associated to them.

If any of the same issues are also discovered on the G1 then we make sure to tag it on the ticket so it can be resolved with a software update. If you discover a new issue then you can create a new thread here in the forums and/or private message me. Or contact our Dive Team directly so we can work on getting a ticket created for the issue.

• Thanks Nate.

Seeing that the G1 is in line (software wise) with the Instinct 2 right now, will the G1 be updated in conjunction with the Instinct 2 or will it be on the painful update schedule that the MK series is on? 

• Unfortunately I don't have the information to provide an answer to that. It is most likely going to be on its own update schedule and not directly in conjunction with the Instinct 2 though. I'll see if I can get anything more definitive for you.

• How you can tell that all the issues reported here are related only to the instinct 2, when you clearly see that is the G1 displayed at the photos...

I don't know about the instinct 2 but the instinct solar tactical that I own has the same issues!

Also the post here and the photos speak about a specific G1 so you should report it to the Dive Team or to any other division the Descent line belongs!

I think our job as costumers must start and end here!!!

• I think what @Garmin-Nate means is that because the G1 and Instinct 2 have the same base software and also share some hardware, the bugs reported here are also present and already being investigated on the Instinct 2. If the battery indicator is wrong on both the G1 and the Instinct 2, then it will be for the same reason so you don't need two teams working independently on a fix for it.

• I'm confirming the FLASHLIGHT BUG. When it's set to hot key it works until releasing the button when releasing the button it dims. 

• Does anyone know an email to email Garmin directly for watch related issues not related to beta’s?

Have a look at https://support.garmin.com - there are three communication channels listed for your respective region (phone, email, and chat). I am surprised you do not know it after all those years of using Garmin devices Slight smile

• I am surprised that you decided to inject your insulting opinion in a topic that’s nearly a month old. I’m quite aware of the “normal” channels to discuss products, but this is a dive computer and not a normal product.

I’ve spoken to their tech support before in relation to the MK1, they know nothing more than the regular support (something you know nothing about in relation to diving), hence my request for a more specific email to speak directly to the dive team. 

Think before you post something like this again…