D2 Air - version 2.80

Garmin has released version 2.80 for the D2 Air series. The list of changes are below.

Changes made from version 2.60 to 2.80:

• Navigation improvements for multi-point flight plans from Garmin Pilot
  • Fixed an issue that caused devices to reset on power up
  • Fix to not require a reboot after aviation database update for saved airport identifiers
  • Remove the fuel timer requirement that we have a GPS velocity greater than the 10 or 30 knot threshold speed
  • Improved pulse ox availability
  • Improved workout duration vibrations
  • Improved elevation at the beginning of activities
  • Improved handling for updates to smart notifications
  • Improved Japanese word combination handling and hyphenation
  • Fixed flatlining heart rate in heart rate widget graph
  • Fixed an issue with auto lock not locking
  • Fixed an issue with failing to uninstall CIQ apps
  • Fixed an issue where heart rate LEDs wouldn't turn on
  • Fixed an issue where you couldn't swipe off of the watch face
  • Fixed an issue accessing Pregnancy from Menstrual Cycle Tracking widget
  • Fixed an issue where calories from pool swim activities aren't added to daily total
  • Improved barometer performance in an activity
  • Fixed an issue with very low values on manual barometer entry
  • Fixed an issue where activity history would be reset when restoring default settings
  • Fixed an issue with Connect IQ watch faces not entering high power on gesture
  • Fixed body battery summary showing +0 charge and -0 drain
  • Fixed an issue where heart rate, steps, and stress could stop recording
  • Fixed an issue where the Hydration widget crashes upon accepting an alert reminder.
  • Fixed an issue with some podcasts not displaying
  • Added support for Thai, Armenian, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese characters on smart notifications and music titles.
  • Fixed some scenarios where battery drain can occur on Connect IQ watch faces
  • Added improvements to all day stress
  • Fixed issue with headphones disconnecting upon starting an activity
  • Removed lower limit on weight picker
  • Fixed swim heart rate zones
  • Reduced minimum sensor wheel size
  • Fixed excessive floors climbed upon barometer calibration
  • Improved handling of missing card image for Garmin Pay

Unlike the other D2 series devices, there is no Updates & Downloads page links.

• continue to maintain a list of bugs, requests, fixes and workarounds. I personally have a D2 Air device so I should be able to confirm bugs and fixes as they appear.

I've bolded anything that would generally consider to be a serious issue that impedes use of the watch or included functionality (ie. reboots versus display or other issues). Reply below with comments and I'll keep the list updated.

Outstanding issues / bugs:

• [WATCH] Measurement of PulseOx is inconsistent during flight (with FLY app)
    • [WATCH] GPS is incredibly slow to acquire an initial fix (up to 60 seconds) compared to other D2 devices
    • [GPS] TO BE CONFIRMED - cannot receive a GPS fix within the flight deck of an Airbus A-320 (and several other aircraft)
    • [CONNEXT] none

Feature requests:

• none at this time

Fixed issues:

• [APPS] The activity stops on FLY app after ~2 minutes at slow speeds when Flight Timer is set to 'Manual' [fixed in 2.60]
    • [WIDGETS] Waypoints widget doesn't handle single direction runways (eg. Rwy 23 at EDDW) [fixed in 2.60]

Old issues [could not be confirmed or appear to work as expected]:

• none at this time
  • "[GPS] TO BE CONFIRMED - cannot receive a GPS fix within the flight deck of an Airbus A-320 (and several other aircraft)"

For what it's worth, most GPS receivers have difficulty receiving an accurate GPS signal from airliner flight decks due to the windshield heat. But I've used Garmin's GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS receiver to enhance aircraft position on my iPad on the Airbus with success. However, the D2 Air watch apparently can't be paired with a bluetooth GPS receiver. 

I like my D2 Air for its aviation features and attractive style but my Apple Watch acquires a position much faster both outdoors and indoors.

• Amazing features! I hope it's not too expensive Smiley