Garmin Marq Athlete - Battery issue!!! Somebody please help

This last week or two I have noticed that my Marq Athlete watch was losing charge. I cannot even tell you how often I was needing to charge it for the last four years, but it's now dead after 48 hours with no activities in this time. I have not changed any of the features that are enabled in the last two years.

I did the live chat thing, and Garmin want me to commit to a potential "repair" bit of £540 before they'll look at it.

I get that it is out of warranty, but this is not a fair contract. I want a new battery not a replacement of a four year old watch. 

It cannot surely be right that they can demand this kind of money to change out the battery on what was a VERY EXPENSIVE watch when I bought it four years ago.

Can anyone suggest anything helpful?

• I am sorry you have the issue. As long as lithium-ion batteries are the best most reliable means of powering every electronic device in use worldwide, options will remain slim once a battery starts to go sideways 4+ years into owning any device regardless of what company made it.

There are two steps you can try that might resolve your issue if the issue is not the lithium-ion battery itself.

Please try the following:

Hard Reset: Hold down your top left power button until your watch shuts off then let go of the button.

Reset to Default:

• Chris, thanks for the time you have taken to reply. However it's not an answer to my issue. My issue is that Garmin want me to commit to £540 without any control on what it is used for,. I'd happily pay for a replacement battery, I am aware that consumables are a part of life.

I suspect you wouldn't want to take your car for some new wiper blades and have them say that you need to commit to a £10000 bill in the event that something else needs changing.

Nobody would be buying this premium product if they knew there'd be this grossly unethical game being played by Garmin,

• However it's not an answer to my issue.

It is the only troubleshooting step that can be done that has a chance to resolve your issue if your battery hasn't decided it is time. I am sorry your only option is to pay a premium price to have your watch torn down and rebuilt with a new battery. I can only speak from my own experience but any high end watch I have owned over the years, my high end jewelers that are few and far between, all charge me an average of around $400-$500 USD to do any work on my watches when I bring them in.

• I was in your shoes. What I did I ordered a replacement battery which costed USD 20 and prayed to the Electronics Gods to help me open the case and replace the battery w/o any issues. And the Gods answered my calls :-) The battery is not as good as the original, what to expect, but it is better than the old one... and cheaper than what Garmin would charge me.

If you are willing to go into that route, I saved some photos during the process.