This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation on latest FWs

Today I just realised that in the last 2 FWs the elevation is quite different from one run to another. See attached some runs on the exact same trail, ok, some were with sunny days, the last one today was little rain and very cloudy. The differences in terms of elevation are quite high, see the last column.

• Has anyone experimented with Auto Climb or Climb Pro? www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-E93B3A01-9EA5-40AD-B2E3-F70B1FACE4B6.html

I've had these turned off on bike rides.

• Mine are turned on as is 3D Distance.

• All my dodgy elevation activities are related to Run type activities.  All my bike activities are recorded on an Edge 1030.  I do have a connection to Strava with my account but this removes ClimbPro and PacePro from being relevant doesn't it?

• My elevation graph on all of my running activities looks very similar to what you most recently posted above.  Tons of little "spikes" overlaid on top of something that kind of resembles the actual plot.  Except, the little spikes are present immediately.  I have no smooth part of the graph.  

• Well, after completing the above steps my regular beach run that has been showing proper elevation gains on Garmin Connect is still showing wonky elevation gains when manually importing the .fit file into Strava.

And just tried cycling with both the MARQ and an EDGE 1030. Recorded Road on the 1030 and MTB per Garmin Support's suggestion on the MARQ. The 1030 got the elevation data correct, but the MARQ shows nearly 3x the elevation gain.

So back to Garmin Support I go...

• Last resort was a full factory reset, which did not solve the problem. Garmin support agreed it’s probably a hardware issue and wants to repair.

• That is at least progress. I’m still being told to wait...  don’t know how long they expect us to wait. Rage

• This probably isn't helpful to anyone, but I did a 17.5 mile hike yesterday and had the best elevation tracking I've experienced in some time:

Considering the length of the hike and the elevation loss/gain I'm pretty happy with how this performed. For the first time in awhile.

• A user in the Fenix 6 forum changed the Watch Mode to Altimeter (Sensors, Barometer, Watch Mode = Altimeter) and is claiming much better results.  Mine was previously set to Auto which I assume is the default because I don't think I've changed it.

I've made the same change now as well and will see how it goes with a few runs this week.

Regarding your hike (great effort :)) - I have noticed, but purely anecdotally, that slower and more steady activities create less issues... I did some climbing the other day, using my 66i because I didn't trust my watch to give me accurate readings.  I recorded the activity with the Marq though, and surprisingly it was absolutely fine.  I'mm hopefully this watch mode thing might be an answer, but maybe I'm grasping a straws now.

My running data from this year shows that I'm highly likely to be competitive at a world-class mountain running event given all the altitude training I've been doing.

• The elevation profile looks ok and the elevation sensible based on years of experience on these trails. This is mine from my Marq with a gain of 284m.

And this from my wife with her 945 and a gain of 276m