This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Marq - already outdated ?

Hi.. quick question: 

I really like the optics of a Marq Captain or Athlete  and thinking about a purchase. 
I am a bit worried though I am buying a technically already outdated watch (as FENIX 6 has
a better display etc.). 
What´s your view and : are  you guys expecting an updated Version (Marq 2) in the near future ?

Thank you very much in advance ! 

• One has saphire glass that blocks light, and the other has a different glass that lets more light so that solar subsystem can produce more energy.

• Two years after it's release I've just bought a MARQ Athlete, which I'm very happy with. I don't find it 'technically outdated' at all.  I think some people have confused size and 'better displays'.

Garmin have done a very good job keeping the software aligned with the latest Fenix 6 series. You are basically getting exactly the same functionality on both, even the firmware version numbers align. 

Whilst, the Fenix 6 series is significantly smaller than the outgoing Fenix 5, particularly in the lug-to-lug distance which makes a big difference to how it sits on your wrist, the MARQ is smaller still.  The lug-to-lug difference of the MARQ is 4 mm less than the Fenix 6. Also, the diameter of the MARQ is 1 mm smaller and the thickness 0.5 mm smaller.  That might not sound like a lot but it amounts to the MARQ volume being 2.5 cubic cm less, according to versus.com which is huge, not only from how it feels on your wrist but also the implication for battery size. 

The MARQ, therefore, is better compared with the Fenix 6S rather than the 6 or 6X.  If you go for a bigger box, you're more likely to get a bigger battery/screen inside. Garmin could have put a larger screen on the MARQ but would you really want to take the corresponding hit on or battery life? IMO, Garmin got the balance right here. 

• The only thing keeping me from buying a MARQ is the display tech, which *does* look dated in my opinion. The low pixel resolution, the low contrast except in full sunlight, and the low contrast backlight.

MIP/transflective display works great functionally for the Fenix line, but it doesn’t scream luxury, and MARQ is supposed to be a luxury watch.

I would personally buy a MARQ variant with the Venu 2 display in a heartbeat. The battery drain is surprisingly not that big on the Venu 2 compared to say the Forerunner 245 or 745, and battery life is more than enough to run a marathon. It wouldn’t be suitable for ultra-running, but that’s fine with me.

• Personally, waiting for the Solar/Saphire version of MARQ (Captain or Aviator)...maybe this year? (2021)

• Have you heard any rumours about MARQ solar types?

• I had a Fenix 5X+ and I got the Marq Captain as a gift for Christmas.  The difference in build quality is like comparing a Timex to a Rolex.  It is seriously like I'm wearing a Tag Huer or Rolex or some other really high end watch.  I catch people looking at it all the time.  The display is notably brighter than the 5X+ was, too.  The software is tailored to boating and I can get data from my boat's instruments directly on the watch as well as steering the autopilot.  So many useful features in addition to everything the 5X+ had.  Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

• You can only get the solar in a non-sapphire lens.  The Marq series are all sapphire lenses.  To get solar you have to get the lens made out of what Garmin calls "Power Glass".  There is no sapphire solar option.

• There is no sapphire solar option.

That's not the case. The Tactix Delta Solar has a Power Sapphire lens https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/696004#specs

• I agree with you that if you're in a bar, wanting to impress friends then an OLED screen is going to look more impressive.

And it's fine if it's your opinion LCD looks dated.  But many athletes that use Garmin outdoor tech think otherwise.

When I first bought a Garmin three years ago, I think I would have agreed with you.  Running even a half marathon was way beyond my abilities as was riding 100 miles on a bike.  Now I can do both and battery life and outdoor performance have become much more important.  

Personally, therefore, I don't think I would buy a MARQ-esque version of a Venu, although I am sure you are right that such a market exists. Garmin quote only two days in always on mode (and I've never got on with lift to view) and that really isn't enough for me. 

The MARQ, however, is really designed for people who do lots of sports, not for people who spend lots of time in bars! 

• MARQ has the same features as the Fenix 6, except at 3x the price... so just to be clear you’re not getting sports functionality for the price of the MARQ, you’re precisely getting “looks good on a date” features. Or in a tuxedo (that’s how Garmin markets it...)