This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Scratches on MARQ Athlete

Has anyone had an issues with scratches on the bezel of he MARQ Athlete?  I had a Fenix 5 for 2 years with never an issue. I have had this for just a few weeks and only used on a handful of sporting events and already there is a huge scratch.  Surprising as the Fenix never had this issue (yes I know it didn't have the coating).

Has anyone else had this issue?

• My T-Touch Expert likewise had the titanium rotating bezel scratched as well, but it didn't look too bad because the scratched and unscratched areas were the same color, unlike scratching off black DLC from titanium. I took it and my ring off for rock climbing to avoid snagging them. Look up "degloving."

• That's what I thought too, my Aviator less than a week old already got a ding on the  titanium bezel edge which surround the ceramic. The grade 2 titanium Garmin used it really soft and super easy to get scratch. My 8 months old Fenix 5 Plus stainless bezel can out last the titanium on scratch and dent.

• Iv'e been waiting years for Garmin to make a watch like this available and was so disappointed when I first seen photos and specs for the Marq Athlete. I couldn't believe what I was looking at and reading about the Bezel......DLC ? Wow, huge mistake. Looks great but as soon as you start using it for what it is, you won't be able to read the bezel the more you use the watch. If you baby it, its pointless because its a sports watch that in my case will be used at least 5 times a week.

When I first heard the rumours I wished it was made in titanium (complete, not just parts of the case) that wish came true. I crossed my fingers hoping it had absolutely NO DLC and was shocked Garmin made that mistake.

I even thought of buying this watch and using scotch brite to remove the DLC but most likely I will loose my warranty.

I would have paid an extra few hundred if it had ceramic or was left in Raw Titanium. So Upset I won't be buying this watch.

Waiting for Marq Athlete Series 2.................or 3 Slight smile

• Personally I don't think it is that easy to scratch. It's easy to scratch accidentally, but that's not the same as the material making it susceptible to scratching. Already I've banged mine against pool walls and lane ropes, fallen off a mountain bike and fallen while running trails. Can't see any scratches to the bezel. I was actually just thinking how clear the display looked alongside my ‘old’5+.  I think it's just an unfortunate consequence of an unintended collision with something that has caused the OP's scratch.

• This watch bezel is extremely fragile and susceptible to scratches.  I thought I had a speck of dust on the "start stop" letter and i wound up scratching it even more with my fingernail trying to get it off.  And no, my nails are neither long or sharp.  This is really unfortunate for a device that costs so much.  I love this watch but this really sucks.  See the wite scratch between the 70-80 VO2max marker.  And the other two scratches - above the yellow arrow are not from any kind of abuse.  

• I agree with you 100%. People need to understand that DLC is rubbish but good for objects that sit on a shelf and do nothing.

If stainless steel scratches it looks stainless steel within the scratch.

If Titanium scratches it looks Titanium within the scratch.

If other watch materials scratch its the same material within the scratch.

I own watches with the 3 materials mentioned above and DON'T CARE if they scratch because they still look good when scratched. I look after my watches and except a scratch every so often. But I refuse to buy this watch knowing I won't be able to read the bezel within days/weeks/months. Yes, I understand we as Athletes shouldn't care what our watches look like, our training is more important and this watch will function as advertised BUT to me it seems Garmin made a mistake here with the Black DLC Bezel. So I will continue Training and using other Excellent Garmin products to measure my Training.

Its obvious they made the watch look good with Black DLC but have no care what it looks like after you buy it.......

Like I said, I would have placed an order instantly if they left it in Raw Titanium.

• MARQ Athlete does not have DLC coating. Only MARQ Driver. Garmin changed description on site.

• It's still in the official description on the main Garmin page for the MARQ Athlete https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/marq/collection/athlete/

• They can call it whatever they like or change the name to whatever they like. The bezel started of as titanium and they added black paint that scratches easily. They advertise it as premium, premium watches use premium materials not coatings to make it look good. 

• I think the grade 2 titanium is also taking some of the blame too, it’s way too soft to take any impact without showing any deep scratch, my Apple Watch DLC Space black last for a good while. Only if Garmin charged the raw Titanium to Grade 5 with much tougher hardness to take the daily impact while we use the watch to do sport.