This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Owners Club

Let us share some enthusiasm about this gorgeous watch coming our way.

Here is my story; being an old Omega Seamaster owner, I was actually looking for something alike in quality. I looked at Omega, TAG Heuer and alike. However allthough all these watches are very nice, each and every time I came to the conclusion that I can't live without 24/7 HR and smart notifications. I am a passionate athlete; so I much like to keep track on my resting HR. And that's actually it - none of the premium brands I looked at deliver that.

And then Marq is being launched - just in the middle of my search :-) What a funny coincidence! Cause BOOM - this is just what I was looking for. Mann that was a sweet surprise :-)

Since I am an athlete, I ordered the Marq Athlete version. That watch has exactly what I want. Really nice materials, 3. gen OHR, and smart notifications. Plus add to this - all Fenix' functionallity, a speedier processor and 12 days battery.

Oh yeah!

Despite being expensive - and please don't get me wrong here - I think this is bang on. I don't mind paying premium for premium. Yes - one could argue the display resolution is not high enough. Personally I would have liked to see HD graphics. But honestly said - that's not the deal breaker for me. The materials are though. And this is where I believe Garmin did the right choice. Premium materials with long battery and an OK display.

So I can't wait to get mine :-)

What about you? What version did you buy?

Share your passion here...
  • Of course, this is just my opinion because I never read anywhere that there could be a difference in gps reception depending of the arm.

Inevitably a lot of stuff on these forums is opinion based upon real life observation; so we should be wary, even if someone has a lot of data, that doesn’t mean they have found the correct conclusions as they may be missing a critical bit of understanding or information. Hence I wouldn’t want to definitively say that it does or doesn’t matter whether GPS watches being compared are on the same side of your body when being tested.

All that said, if the watch on one side of your body has a clear line of sight view to more satellites, but the watch on the other side has your body has an obstructed view (your body is in the way), then the watch without line of sight ‘may’ be getting a weaker or otherwise inferior signal or at least may be more susceptible to picking up reflected GNSS signals rather than the most direct one (RF waves usually do best when travelling in a straight line without obstruction). Hence the rationale that if you put the 2 GPS watches you are trying to compare on the same side of the body, then both are advantaged or disadvantaged equally. Alternatively, all that rationale I’ve just described above could be complete BS, as there are some effects or factors I have not taken in to account. So the only way to be eliminate uncertainty is to conduct more tests to cover both scenarios: watches on one arm as well as watches on opposite arms.
  • So the only way to be eliminate uncertainty is to conduct more tests to cover both scenarios: watches on one arm as well as watches on opposite arms.

Yes, and given the fact that every watch has a different type of antenna and a different position of the antenna, all the test must be specific to a given model of watch, and unfortunately results must be specific for only that model of watch and can not be extended to other models of watches. Interesting also the point that you discussed about the swing of the arm: this is a huge difficulty for sport watches. It's enough to compare how better is a reception when you fix a watch with the face up looking at the sky on a bike compared to the same watch with the swing of the arm while running.
  • My first activity with Marq Expedition. I can say that GPS was ok but the instant pace was way much better than Fenix 5 - I did a constant pace run and that is shown in the pace graph as with F5 I was getting fluctuations for instant pace.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3631682938

So, overall looking good.
  • There is definitely some smoothing on the instant pace which Garmin does vs what GPS pace is recording, which is not a bad thing.

Check Garmin link https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3634445718 and then check ST link which shoes pace from GPS https://sporttracks.mobi/activity/21035960
  • Here's how the Athlete looks with the steel band and black leather for anyone wondering. 

• I like the steel band there. The silicone strap looks different than the one that came with my Expedition:

• That's not the silicone strap that came with the Athlete, it's a black leather that originally comes with the Approach :)

• Is a steel bracelet or one of the new titanium bracelets? I am waiting to get one for my Expedition at the start of June.

• If there is a steel bracelet that looks like the titanium one, i suggest you guys get the steel one. While titanium is premium metal, strong and light... It is very prone to scratches. I had my aviator for a week and the bracelet looks like its been worn for months, very, very easy to scratch. Im wondering what grade titanium is used for the aviator watch, surely its not Ti-6Al-4V as this is deemed resilient metal, not something i see on my watch. So.. Think twice how you want to spend few hundred bucks on bracelet