HR Always Inconsistent

My Instinct is so inaccurate when walking and cycling. I don’t understand how an expensive watch like this can be so unreliable. 

Picture shows a basic oxiomiter showing my HR is 149 after an effort, wrist shows 88. I’ve had the same when on arduous hikes. Any one have any idea or suggestions? I also have HR data set to display every second not “smart”.

• Tattoos (among others) will definitely prevent the optical sensor to get your HR correctly. Try finding a position without tattoos - on the inner side of the writs, or on the other wrist, perhaps.

The Heart Rate Sensor on My Garmin Watch Is Not Accurate | Garmin Customer Support

I don’t understand how an expensive watch

Instinct 1st gen an expensive watch? It is one of the cheapest smartwatches on the market. You can get it for around $100, and even for less. However, even the top models will have problems taking HR in bad conditions, like through the skin covered by tattoos, at low temperatures (peripheral vasoconstriction), during some exercises (cadence lock), etc etc. For any serious training, I definitely recommend using a chest strap HRM. Not only it is more accurate, but it also allows for measuring the HRV during activities, which is not possible with the optical sensor.

• Placement is more likely the problem here. Correctly placed it should be a couple of finger widths above the wrist bone. And, as mentioned, the tattoos won't help either.

I also have HR data set to display every second not “smart”

Nothing to do with display. Simply a setting that determines how many data points are saved.