Backcountry Skiing Activity Profile

Hello,

Can I request Backcountry Skiing to be added to activity lists? Instinct is a very outdoor oriented watch and there are only two options: skiing (downhill) and XC ski (which is totally different than backcountry). Garmin Connect App lets me either of those activities to backcountry skiing and then I also edit my Strava activity, but it would be great to be able to select Backcountry skiing as the activity. I know the same issue has been going around on Fenix 5 forum since Fenix 6 just got this functionality. 

Overall, it would be great to be able to edit/import all activities that are available in Garmin Connect App (there's more than on the watch). I know it's a lot to ask but I'll be happy even just with Backcountry skiing!

Thanks 
Pawel

• I'm trying to do the same but the Garmin Instinct delete the new fit file that I insert in //GARMIN/Sports/.

What I'm missing to do the trick working?

Some one have an suggestion?

Thank you

• I'm seeing the same issue as well. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Connect Instinct to computer
    2. Copy XC_Ski.fit from the GARMIN/Sports folder and paste on to my computer, same directory as FIT SDK files
    3. In command prompt, run command: java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -b ..\XC_Ski.fit ..\XC_Ski.csv -u
    4. Open the newly created XC_Ski.csv with Notepad++ and modify the name to "Backcountry Ski" and the sport and subsport values to 13 and 37 respectively
    5. Save the modified file as Backcountry_Ski.csv
    6. In command prompt, run command: java -jar FitCSVTool.jar -c ..\Backcountry_Ski.csv ..\Backcountry_Ski.fit
    7. Copy the Backcountry_Ski.fit file into GARMIN/Sports on the Instinct
    8. Eject the Instinct, then unplug from computer
    9. Wait 60s before using any watch functions

After doing all that, I don't see Backcountry Ski as an available activity on the watch. If I plug the Instinct back in to the computer, the Backcountry_Ski.fit file is no longer in the GARMIN/Sports directory. Re-converting the generated Backcountry_Ski.fit to a CSV works flawlessly, so I don't believe there's any issues with the conversion process. Additionally, the conversion back to .fit from .csv does not work and gives unknown fields errors if the -u argument is omitted from either the conversion to .csv or from .csv to .fit

Related: I have also tried these exact same steps with a Venu to copy the existing Walk activity to try and give the watch a Hike activity which I believe should be supported by that watch. The steps and results are the same.

• Bingo!

Thank you for your post!

My steps was exactly as yours (with different file names and different sport name) except for the last...

My step number 9 was power off and then immediatly power on the watch... I've added about two minutes between power off and power on and now I can see the activity that I have edited.

Have a nice day

• It will be great to have backcountry / ski touring mod for a rugged smartwatch as Instinct.  at least to have recorded Up/downhill mode, ascent rate visible in the resume and category with a correct recognition. I hope garmin will hear us !

Edit: Thanks to the community, I changed a XC ski.fit profil to a 13 (alpine ski)subsport 37 (backcountry ski). It seems to work well for me. I can switch between uphill & downhill: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8121748532

• How do you switch between uphill and downhill on the watch ? 

• I used the laps button (set). On my setting, touch lap is enable, and auto downhill is disable.

• Sounds interesting, but is this usefull, manually switching?

I used the  profile ski/backcountry for exactly one tour. During uphill there was one single position recorded when a few meters of altitude were lost but no uphill total altitude meters at all. After stopping, in the summary only downhill meters were shown. The GPS track was only during uphill recorded.

And: I created two activity screens with distance, total uphill and downhill altitude meters. During whole ascending there were "0" total altitude meters one "0" distance meters shown.

Switching manually is no way for me. I want to record the numerous small ascends and descends while ski mountaineering.

• Manuel switching is usefull for me because I am not in a skimo race and it took literaly 2 sec switching uphill downhill when i remove skin. I had same problem as you when I took standard ski activity. Nothing was recording during uphill. I think it because of auto uphill mode. 

With my "new profil"In upwhill or downhill mode, it record all your ascenscion and descente, no worries, look th screenshot. The purpose ofuphill and downhill is to have different statistic. I am just switching when i remove my skin.  Sorry if it is not clear. My english is rusty Disappointed