Backcountry Skiing Activity Profile

Hello,

Can I request Backcountry Skiing to be added to activity lists? Instinct is a very outdoor oriented watch and there are only two options: skiing (downhill) and XC ski (which is totally different than backcountry). Garmin Connect App lets me either of those activities to backcountry skiing and then I also edit my Strava activity, but it would be great to be able to select Backcountry skiing as the activity. I know the same issue has been going around on Fenix 5 forum since Fenix 6 just got this functionality. 

Overall, it would be great to be able to edit/import all activities that are available in Garmin Connect App (there's more than on the watch). I know it's a lot to ask but I'll be happy even just with Backcountry skiing!

Thanks 
Pawel

• You can try using the option -u for suppressing unknown fields when converting the original FIT to CSV, though I am unsure whether the result will then work correctly. Another option is using the FFRT tool

There may be other command line options that need to be used, but frankly told, I do not know much about it. Unfortunately the local FIT file expert "OnlyTwo" left the forum a few weeks ago, but perhaps you find the information in one of his old posts in the forum. Or perhaps  could help with some advice, he is skilled in fixing FIT files too.

• I considered using option -u, but it looked like it would probably remove a lot of necessary data from the file.

I was able to obtain a Backcountry Skiing FIT file from a Fenix 6x, looks like it might work. I'll give it a try next week.

• I was able to obtain a Backcountry Skiing FIT file from a Fenix 6x, looks like it might work.

I have some doubts, because the S/N of the device and the device type ID are coded into the FIT file too. So, I suspect you'd need to edit the FIT file anyway,  modifying those fields. It is worth of trying just copying it over, though, one never knows for sure without testing it first

• Hey, I got this working. I did use the -u but on the conversion to the fit file eg. java -jar FitCSVTool.jar XC_Ski.fit -u

• Is there any chance you could do the conversion and post a link to the file? I am struggling to figure this out and thinking OS X is not the beat platform. I would be super grateful! 

• It needs to be done on your system with the FIT file from your watch, so that it contains the right device ID, and the S/N

Personally I do not use the Backcountry Skiing profile, so do not need this FIT file, but one of the users who hacked the file could perhpas post it here, and then you can try whether it works on your Instinct, despite the different S/N (I did not test yet, whether it really needs to match the original).

Or just tell us which step you have problem with during the conversion or editing, and perhaps we can help.

• Hi!

Does setting sport=13, sub_sport=37 (Skiing / Backcountry) in the .fit file does anything for You? 

I was trying with sport/sub_sport = 13/37 (Skiing / Backcountry) and 14/37 (Snowboard/Backcountry) and both Connect mobile app and Garmin web app show "Other" as activity type (synced to Strave the selected type is "Workout" in spite of availability of Snowboarding/Backcountry ski on the list).

Am I doing anything wrong?

On the list of activity types in Connect mobile app I have "Backcountry/snowboarding" so I was expecting it would be something selected when I use sport/sub_sport = 14/37, but on the other hand I cannot see on this list Skiing/Backcountry ...

Is there any spec on mapping from sport/sub_sport to Connect activity type list? 

• Use -u option while converting from fit to csv.

• Tried the suggested method of converting .fit -> .csv and changing the sport from 12 (XC ski) to 13 (alpine ski) then setting the subsport to 37 (backcountry ski) but when recording a tour this new activity profile didn't record my uphill! 

Perhaps the main category of alpine skiing doesn't like the uphill.. I tried using the mountaineering profile (sport category 16 - full list of sport and subsport categories found here

Anyone know if Garmin's planning to update the instinct to support backcountry skiing like what's available for the Fenix series? (with particular emphasis on uphill tracking!)

• I support the request for a dedicated mode for ski mountaineering in Garmin Instinct, at least to have recorded Up/downhill mode, ascent rate visible in the resume and category with a correct recognition. Thx.