Default watch face - but remove the seconds - save battery

I prefer the default watch face on the Instinct.

Not being able to remove the seconds display, however, causes that watch face to consume much more battery than using a digital display without seconds.

I would like to request Garmin to release in a new firmware a version of the default watch face that does not have seconds displayed.

This will allow a much longer battery life for those who find that important - and still allow the preferred and most useful display.

Thank you Garmin.

• I completely agree with this comment. The default watch face is excellent but they need an option to remove the "seconds" field in order to save battery life. Seems like a pretty easy fix since other watch faces have that option so not sure why it is not available for all of the watch face options. 

• It did made significant difference on my pebble watches with the same screen technology.

I am sorry, I cannot believe that. Tell us what watches exactly. Either it has another screen technology, or the difference you have observed was caused by something else.

Garmin specifically says to use a watchface without seconds to conserve battery.
    www8.garmin.com/.../GUID-7A30002F-B50A-4F1C-84CA-0EADBF4A9759.html

• Garmin says avoid watch faces with a second hand not seconds. This is big difference. Numeric seconds are not a problem but the graphic second hand used by the analog watch face should be avoided. The rotating hand forces updates of large parts of the display. 

• Absolutely wrong. The page I linked specifically says "Use a watch face that is not updated every second." It gives a second hand as an example. A second hand does not use more battery than changing digits! The entire display updates when even one pixel on the screen changes. But even if only the changing pixels updated, a thin line doesn't have more pixels than two digits. Even if there was a difference (there isn't), it wouldn't be a "big difference" as you claim. Garmin wouldn't recommend avoiding a second hand to save battery, but say that digital seconds are fine.

• If the display used in Instinct 2 is what I suspect (Kyocera MIP 176x176 pixels diplay)or similar, then the entire static display draws 0.5 µA (1.5 µW - millionths of a watt). At the estimated battery capacity of Instinct of 1-2 Wh, theoretically it could keep the state around a million of hours (~hundred years) on a single charge (assuming no other power consumer). According to the specs, rewriting the entire display each second would draw 7 times more - 3.5 µA (at ~3V it gives ~10 µW). Each pixel is individually addressable. Rewriting only a few pixels (if properly implemented) should cost considerably less - theoretically ~30,000 (176x176) times less than the full display, hence just around a third of a nanowatt per pixel.

Hard to tell whether Garmin indeed uses the advantage of the individual pixel addressing. If they do, then the difference of consumption of the display alone, for refreshing just a few pixels, would be completely negligible. I suspect they indeed refresh the entire screen. It can be that the software handling of the individual pixel addressing would cost more CPU time, and hence more power consumed by the CPU, than what could be saved by the display. I may be wrong though.

• if analog powerconsumtion is same as digital why do only analog turn off if you dont move.. digital dosent do that

• if analog powerconsumtion is same as digital why do only analog turn off if you dont move.. digital dosent do that

It does - stay still, and watch the screen. After ~30s (the exact time depends on the battery level) the watchface stops refreshing, and the seconds digits disappear.

• Did not see that this was instinct forum. You are correct. But on fenix 7 it does not turn of digital seconds

• I think people are being picky here, one charge= GPS, track my activity, for 2hrs a day, plus sync every day, it lasts for 7 days with minimal sun. I have pulse ox set to off, light 4sec brightness 5% ,keys after sunset, it is by far better than any other watch in its league. The resin Garmin instinct solar is the best to have, no metal on it, it doesn't set of alarms at ports or airports, on opps its easy to clean.

• Just to update, turning off or trying to get rid of the seconds will change nothing in battery life, Casio Gshocks solar powered, etc have display seconds always on and battery life is superb. Garmin for the tasks it performs is heads above the former .