Problem with distance and pace measurements on Instict

Hi,

I have a running route which is exactly 4.0 miles. However the Instict records about 3.7 miles. This means my pace is down on what it should be too. I've updated the Instinct to the latest firmware and tried GPS+GLOASS. Any ideas?

Top Replies

All Replies

• This was one of my posts from an earlier thread "Elevation Problem":

Here is my low-tech, inelegant solution... that actually works pretty well.

It is just the top of a sock - cutoff.  It does not impact the OHR, though I get poor results from it during activities (so I use a strap).

• Thank you for your great solution to a major issue with the barometer/altimeter.

Sweat bands I ordered arrived today so have already implemented your idea. 

Can still get heart rate and keeps the sensor from getting blocked GrinningThumbsup

It actually keeps the watch in a better position for heart rate higher up the wrist without slipping down. 

Works really well, just how the watch should have worked. 

• Nice!  I might have to switch to a proper wrist band, as I can see that it would help keep the watch properly positioned for better OHR results.  

I also switched my Instinct to "Altimeter mode" a while back, which seemed to provide better results too.

• Any sweat wristband should work, just put it on then line the wrist strap parralel to the sweatband and then tighten with the watch overlapping.

Altimeter mode means any changes in atmospheric pressure are always registered as changes in elevation. 

I thought of putting the watch in barometer mode when home or at a regular location, then changing to altimeter when on the move (walk or activity).

Automatic I assume detects movement from accelerometer and classes air pressure changes as elevation. No constant movement and its in barometer mode.

For hiking, basecamp barometer mode and hiking trails altimeter. 

For me wrist HR isn't that big of an issue at the moment, generally it's 140's average when running, Not sure I really need it to be fair. I'm not doing any high intensity zone specific workouts where I need the watch to register my heart rate accordingly, I just kind of want some reflection of effort when running up hills hence Barometer working properly. 

• Hi, thank you.

Difference in distance is meaningless in this case, only 0.02 mi.  

On the other hand, elevation chart is noticeably smoother, and more accurate with the tape on, so A+ for that solution.
    It's easy, cheap and effective. 

On a side note pace chart was a lot more rough in the second run though, but that is more "on" the runner than "on" the device itself.

I had to return my Instinct due to the distance (hence pace) discrepancies, it was giving me too much difference for my taste.

Thanks again. 

• My distances with the Instinct are slightly shorter than the distance plotted using route creation, but I'm never actually running down the middle of the road in real life, which is how the plotted routes are measured. For. Road Sections I'm often running down the pavement on the inside curve, which like a track will be shorter.

For paths and trails, if you zoom in on a created route in whatever route distancing site or app you are using, you will see how the route creation tool Zig zags and adds false distance. 

I think the Instinct distances are more correct for the actual path I take.