Enable heart rate monitor for activities only

Hey, I hope separate post will bring additional attention to that. 
I beleve this opton will be very helpful for those who don't need heart rate monitor all the time. I usualy keep it disabled to save battery and avoid some irritations that happen sometimes for some people. But when I do sport activities I want heart rate monitor to be enabled, it's very annoying to go to settings every time and enable it manualy before activity. It would be perfect to have this setting per activity, but "enable during activities only" also will work. Garmin, please add this settings to next release, I believe it's should be easy to implement since there are no technical limitations, everythin in place, just couple additional flags to add to Instinct firmware. 

Thank you.

• Just a note regarding the requested feature for enabling the HRM for activities only, and why I believe that it is very unlikely Garmin would implement it:

All Garmin devices with an HRM calculate the Calories consumption from the ratio between the current HR, and the average resting HR. It means that for the proper calculation of the burned energy, the device needs to measure your HR also during the rest, and best during the sleep. Only when the average resting HR is properly acquired, the Calories during the day and during any activity can be correctly calculated.

It means if Garmin implemented the requested feature, and allowed enabling the HRM during an activity only, there would be no way of calculating the energy consumption using the physiological method. I am afraid afraid Garmin will never chose this option, because the calculation of Calories on the physiological principles is a crucial funcionality, and Garmin is even bound contractually to keep it working in this way, to diverse insurance agencies, who rely on this feature when evaluating health benefits of their clients.

• always forgetting to enable heart rate monitor

You turned off the heart rate monitoring, then forget to turn it back on and it's Garmin's fault?  

• The vivosmart 4 however does have the suggested option

• The vivosmart 4 however does have the suggested option

Isn't that rather just for the Pulse Ox functionality, while keeping the standard OHRM active anyway?

• Trux, thanks for the answer. It sounds reasonable but I believe there multiple ways to calculate energy consumption based on previous measurements using average/mean/mode valus or even better machine learning algorithms. I am 100% sure even with HR enabled calculations far from to be 100% accurate... moreover you always can show some note to the user that says that measurements may be not accurate because HR disables yes/no.

• I believe there multiple ways to calculate energy consumption based on previous measurements using average/mean/mode valus or even better machine learning algorithms.

If there were an option for activating the HRM during activity only, there might be no RHR data at all. Better learning algorithm won't help, if there is no data. Also, the RHR is not a static value, it needs to be monitored regularly. Burned Calories could be only estimated from some tabelar values by the type of the activity and the time of the activity, but that would be extremely inaccurate, and Garmin would receive much more negative feedback, and complaints, than by using the current system, not speaking about their corporate partners (insurances using fitness devices for calculating health benefits) who would barely accept such level of inaccuracy, and just estimates instead of measuring.

Still, you can suggest the feature to Garmin, but personally I doubt they would consider implementing it.

• Hello, you can create new power mode in options, where heart rate monitor will be enabled and then, set it on each activity you need. I have created 2 profiles with different GPS and heart monitor always on.  For example for running I use gps+glonass and heart rate monitor always on. Hope it helps

• Hi,

this is very interesting but how to setup this?
    Can you explain in details?

I have read the user manual but I can't find this options...

• create new power mode in options

Power modes are an option in the Solar model only.